Friday, September 15, 2006

Observations from the Pearl

**** Joe, I’m talking about “Lost” so look away. Btw Bruce Willis is dead in the 6th sense****

***Kudo's to Joe for help w/the pics***

So when “Lost” season 2 came out I snagged it, devoured the special features, watched a couple of commentaries and then....

I started over with Season 1.

It’s been quite some time since I saw the first 45 days on the island, and I decided to start wading my way through the first season again with new eyes...you know, the whole hindsight thing. So I thought I’d share my thoughts & observations w/the lodge.

Anyway...let roll....
(Click on the links for episode recaps)

Pilot Pts 1 & 2
I love that you barely see Locke during the whole episode. You get that killer shot near the end of him sitting on the beach, with this creepy grin, but that’s it. The slow build they created for him really paid off big time, as he became the breakout star of the show.

The first episode really played up the Monster/Creature that is lurking in the woods. We’ve seen Mr. Eko confront the smoke monster in season 2, but I’m not sure that this is the same monster we’re seeing here. The monster we’re threatened with in the majority of this season apparently is huge, as we learned when the thing was able to pull the pilot out of the cockpit, which was propped up against a tree. Maybe the smoke thing is capable of this, but it doesn’t seem to fit. My guess is we’re dealing with multiple...things, for lack of a better word.

Looking back I’m kind of bummed the walked away from the “Walt has crazy mind powers” concept, as we saw with the comic book/polar bear thing (The comic, btw is “Flash/Green Lantern: Faster Friends #1). I really dug that angle...but I’ll be really curious when the losties find the Dharma station they were kept in (if there is on, that is). Speaking of the polar bears, I forgot how much I dug their randomness on the island. Maybe there’s still one running around on the island somewhere.

Tabula Rasa
This episode starts really exploring the question, “What in the world did Kate do?” Since we already know there’s no real lingering questions leftover from this episode.


I do love the fact that you constantly see people using Locke’s wheelchair to move stuff.

However there’s one thing I didn’t catch before. If you’ll recall on the island the episode mostly deals with the Marshall who’s been mortally wounded. Jack refuses to kill him and keeps doing everything he can to save him. Eventually he asks Kate to kill him, which Sawyer does for him. Sawyer shoots the Marshall in the chest to put him out of his misery and ends up not killing him instantly. Jack tells Sawyer that it’ll now take hours for him to die. Sawyer walks out of the tent as we hear the Marshall in pain. He makes kind of a sudden noise, and then nothing, followed by Jack walking out of the tent.

Did Jack kill the marshal? It seems so obvious to me know, but it never crossed my mind before.

Walkabout
This is one of my favorite episodes of all season. We find out what Locke’s big secret was...he was paralyzed.


It’s been said that Season 3 will be the one where we find out what put Lock in that chair. The other real question is why could he walk again? Did it have to do with the Swan station hatch (And more specifically whatever that crazy magnet thing is)? I love that Locke calls his phone sex lady “Helen”. And I totally forgot that Locke has been face to face with the monster. I wonder if we’ll ever find out what happened there....

I really like the contrast to how damaged and feeble Locke was before the island, and how badass he became on the island.

What I find kind of funny is how the Hatch turned him back into the button pusher he was before getting on the island. You can see how that regression really strained him. I’m really looking forward to the direction he goes in Season 3. I think we could be due for a return to form. Or maybe, he’ll be something even darker. A lot of people still maintain theories that Locke may not be playing on the side we think.

17 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the warning, Jayne. And I was hoping you were about to say, "Bruce Willis is on the Island this season." Then I might catch up and watch.

Oh, and by the way, you just need to type the following to embed a picture:

< img src="your http link here" align=left >

But move the brackets next to the "img" and "left" (I had put a space to ptu them in this comment.

Fri Sep 15, 12:01:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Casey said...

I never thought I'd say this, but:

You're the man, joe!

Fri Sep 15, 12:13:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Train said...

You've take your first step into a larger world

Fri Sep 15, 12:19:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Casey said...

And you still need to pass 4th grade grammer.

Fri Sep 15, 12:20:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Train said...

And you need to get laid.... See I can spell that and get some too.

Fri Sep 15, 12:28:00 PM PDT  
Blogger theDUKE said...

alright, i'm going to succumb to the masses. i don't know wtf this lost talk is anymore. i'll DL some eps to my ipod and see what this "hype" is about.

Fri Sep 15, 12:58:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Casey said...

That's probably a good idea Duke, I'm probably going to be doing a lot of Lost posting this season.

It really is worth watching...I don't think you'll be dissapointed.


...and do you know what's great about the zinger Train just laid down on me? In the next 3-4 hours he'll come over to my desk, apologize, and then he'll see if he can bum a ride home. This man's willingness to flip flop is truly a source of awe here in insurance-land.

Fri Sep 15, 01:10:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Casey said...

btw Train, that was pretty funny. I've got to at least give you props for that.

Fri Sep 15, 01:12:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Jimbo said...

this bickering is pointless...bringing back some flashbacks of season one, or as I call it, the three days where I didn't move from my couch...it didn't take much for me to get hooked and you bring up some good points about season one, the great thing that I'm anticipating from the writers is that they'll treat each season as a completley different interpretation, and this will hopefully keep the series fresh for a while

Fri Sep 15, 01:47:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Casey said...

Train, you know your my boy...just be ready to go @ EXACTLY 5 o'clock & we're kosher.

As for lost...
That's really what I dug about season two. It felt so much different than Season 1. And from the way they've set things up Season 3 looks to once again go in a different direction:

We now have Jack, Sawyer & Kate stuck with the Others. The Hatch is long gone. The rest of the crew are no leader-less. And seriously, what's up with the 4-toed statues?

I'm gonna try to continue through the rest of the season one and continue looking for those first traces and early clues we got two years ago. If I recall the juciest stuff comes in the second half of the season...at least as far as the mythology goes.

Fri Sep 15, 01:55:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Goose said...

MCP Have you seen this page?

Its a cool Theory page

http://www.lostpedia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Fri Sep 15, 02:15:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Goose said...

Lockes ability to walk also has something similiar to do with Rose.... Bernards Wife. Remember she was terminally ill from cancer and now is fit as a fiddle. She also is the only one that saw Locke in the Wheelchair at the airport

Fri Sep 15, 02:29:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Casey said...

That page is awesome! Thanks for the heads up!

Fri Sep 15, 02:30:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Goose said...

I though you'd like it If you havent seen it. I porobably should disclaimer..."Joe dont go there"

Fri Sep 15, 02:35:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Goose said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Fri Sep 15, 02:35:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Train said...

"joe don't go there"

Fri Sep 15, 02:38:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Train said...

ok, i gotta comment on the Reggie Bush money story...

bush commented today "I'm not worried about any of these allegations or anything like that," he said. "Because I know what the truth is, like I said from day one. Once the smoke clears, everybody's going to see we did nothing wrong."... Yes the TRUTH is Bush doesn't care becasue he doesn't attend USC.

PS
Something is fishy in Troy

Fri Sep 15, 03:50:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home