Monday, February 12, 2007

49th Grammy Awards

The 49th Annual Grammy Awards were last night. Being a big fan of music, the Grammys are probably my favorite awards show. Yep, even more than the Oscars. I usually get pissed about terrible Oscars snubs at least 2-3 times per Academy Awards show, but the Grammy's are consistently fair in their choices, in my opinion. For example, back in 2000, Christina Aguilera beat out Macy Gray, Kid Rock, Britney Spears and Susan Tedeschi. Back in the day, it was an upset. Now, pretty damn spot on.

A brief history on the Grammys can be found here. While you can click here for all of this year's nominees and winners. You can also watch some video highlights at the same site. But I'll give ya'll a rundown of the festivities, from the red carpet to the performances, to the winners. On point, as the kids say.

Best dressed? Well, Scarlett Johanssen was there for no reason other than to look smokin hot. The wife threw a fit that she was there. Although I think we are all winners that she made it out for the event. And since I know the Kennish will demand it, some other fashion "highlights" and other notables of the included... Fergie not looking as trashy as she usually does. Shakira looking hot on stage, but she sported an 80's perm on the carpet. Not good. And I can't stand her music, Carrie Underwood was probably the best dressed overall. Even if she looks like a Barbie. Somebody needs to tell Cee-Lo that polka-dots aren't slimming. And Brooke Hogan "looks like a drag queen", according to Jenny. I kind of agree. Mandy Moore looked like she made her own dress out of a curtain. Jamie Foxx got off his valet side job and made it just in time. And Luda was the best dressed of the guys. He joked later, after winning for Best Rap Album, that he got it because he cut his hair. Not really funny... but the album is pretty good. Easily the worst dressed was Singer-songwriter Imogen Heap, who wore a dress created by a fan who contacted her through her website. Just imagine what it would look like if she was attacked by a plant and lost the fight. It looked worse than that.

The 49th Grammy Awards ceremony in Los Angeles kicked off with a comeback performance by The Police, who are back together almost 25 years after releasing their last album. They brought it with a nice rendition of "Roxanne". Sting even sported a Feyd-Rautha-esque spiked hairstyle. By the way, the sound was terrible in the room they were in. Echoes throughout the night.

JT brought it with my favorite song off his nominated album in "What Goes Around". There was an ongoing "vote" for one of three girls, that looked pretty much identical, on who got to perform with JT at the end of the night. Terrible idea. They showed the 3 of them at least 8,983 times throughout the night. At one point, Jenny exclaimed, "I want to go back in time and lock those 3 in a closet or punch them so they couldn't make it tonight." Wow. She's a hater, folks.

Chris Brown... who? Ya, I said the same thing. But he actually put in a nice performance following legends Smokey Robinson and Lionel Richie. Nobody told Smokey that 70 yo dudes should probably button up their shirts apparently. Lionel sung "Hello" on a grand piano in the middle of the crowd. That song is effing catchy even 20 years later.

The aforementioned Christina sang "Man's World" in tribute to James Brown's passing. That girl has some pipes. And a good voice too. Mary J. Blige wore a red one piece for a performance with Ludacris that looked like a giant camel-toe. Yes, it was funny. Jenny didn't like that joke though. "She looks nice," the hater disagreed. James Blunt followed up with my song of the year in "You're Beautiful". Sure, it's been overplayed. But the song is a friggin' hit.

Towards the end of the show, I almost turned off the broadcast when the Red Hot Chili Peppers came out to play a song. Honestly, I wish they would have quit after that "Bridge" song and appearing in the Lodge Favorite Point Break. I am an FBI Agent!

But the big winner of the night was really Rick Rubin. He won for Producer Of The Year. He produced the Dixie Chicks multi-winning album, the Chili Peppers winning album, and the fifth Johnny Cash American V album. If this guy doesn't get a Lifetime Achievement Grammy in 20 years, it'll be a travesty. The Chicks walked away with five awards in all, four years after losing tons of redneck fans by criticizing President Bush. Of course, Jenny believes that, "public opinion is so bad right now against Bush that the Dixie Chicks are winning Grammys because of it." She's probably right too. The album is good... but the best of the year? No. Although it was cool to see Al Gore announce the award. [Side note: I finally saw An Inconvenient Truth over the weekend. Wow. Phenomenal documentary. If you watch it and don't go out and at least buy energy-saving light bulbs, instant karma might show up to your front door. I'm just sayin']

I'll end this with a quick note about my Dad. Pops used to be a bi-partisan voter, but then Clinton performed well during the 90's and Dubya came into office. Now my dad is a raving Democrat. He even has a bumper sticker on his truck reading, "Somewhere in Texas a village is missing an idiot". I mention this because dad bought the Dixie Chicks album just to support their stance against Bush. Because, in case you haven't heard, the Chicks aren't ready to make nice.

30 Comments:

Blogger Goose said...

Joe.
What have I told you about Fashion reviews on award shows on the Blog. Its one thing to watch the Grammys and comment on music, but Fashion reviews? What are you Joan Frickin Rivers?

PS. What color "Evening Gown" would you like us to buy for you? Because if you keep this up, that is what you will be wearing to all Lodge functions. You may now be known as one of the Following girl nicknames (Lodge Vote Wins)

1) Abby 1.0
2) Grace 1.0
3) Jillian 1.0
4) Mary 1.0

My vote is Joe 2.0 becomes Abby 1.0.

For petes sake, grow a pair and stop doing this.

Mon Feb 12, 02:07:00 PM PST  
Blogger Unknown said...

This wasn't a fashion review. It was a review on the Grammys. Just because you didn't read past the fashion paragraph reflects more on your insecurities than my taste in clothing. And my "pair" is secure in my sexuality enough to keep it up. Bring it, Goose.

Mon Feb 12, 02:49:00 PM PST  
Blogger Goose said...

Listen here Heather. Any time you use the term "Best Dressed" and Worst dressed" its a Fashion Review, with a little grammy mixed in.

Mon Feb 12, 03:14:00 PM PST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Goose, your phobias are extraordinary.

Mon Feb 12, 03:28:00 PM PST  
Blogger Goose said...

Not too odd. Except for a mild case of Ophidiophobia (From childhood) and Arachibutyrophobia, Im just fine

Mon Feb 12, 03:52:00 PM PST  
Blogger Train said...

Joe, I have to disagree with you on Shakira. You should try listening to her Spanish language music. It is far better then her crappy english pop music. Plus, she is friggin hot and I have to stick up for the fellow Latins.

When did Christina A get a set of yabos like those?

I wish that Lionel Richie would have had some one sculpting his head while he sang "Hello"....

Why was Scarlett Johanssen there? Oh, yeah she is banging JT

Mon Feb 12, 04:13:00 PM PST  
Blogger Casey said...

Enter the Googs...

Mon Feb 12, 04:57:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you should check the vacation schedule Casey

Mon Feb 12, 05:21:00 PM PST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Jordan, I didn't say anything bad about her music. Actually I do agree that her Spanish-language albums are better than her English ones. I was just pointing out the bad perm... and that she's hot. Jenny got pissed about her too. Apparently she's sick of that song, which gets her in the penalty box with Scarlett.

Tue Feb 13, 09:05:00 AM PST  
Blogger Train said...

Well then I stand corrected.

I would love to be stuck in Scarletts "penalty box"

That's two minutes for roughing

Tue Feb 13, 09:28:00 AM PST  
Blogger Goose said...

I cant believe the Chargers fired Marty after being 14-2

Tue Feb 13, 10:10:00 AM PST  
Blogger Train said...

I can! Look at those Crazy eyes of his... Madness... Oh, and the fact there was a pissing contest between him and the GM.

Tue Feb 13, 10:30:00 AM PST  
Blogger Jimbo said...

Goose...it's not the 14-2 mark...it's the 0-1 record in the playoffs that got him fired and his post-season track record...this is a prime example of Jimbo Rule 1.3...I commend the Chargers for their commitment to winning...They recognize that a lot of coaches could get this team to 12+ wins in the regular season...but they need someone who can win in January...especially in the prime of LDT's career...

however...it still depends on who they bring in to replace him...

and 2.0...I respect your appreciation for top 40...but come on man...award shows?...complete bollocks?...just another excuse for media moguls and overhyped artists to see who can get their tongue further up their own ____....

(Here he goes on his high horse)...I've never understood how you can recognize one piece of subjective art over another based solely on the financial influence and marketing of a multi-billion dollar studio...if it were truly an "award" show it would include independent artists and reflect a more complete spectrum of music instead of the 3 or 4 pop-star wanka's LA produces every year...ok...I'm done...(steps off of horse and into a pile of ___)

Tue Feb 13, 10:35:00 AM PST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow. Jimbo, you are starting to like the smell of your own farts, almost time to move to the Bay Area.

I agree with some of your argument, the fact is that the Grammys are right more than other awards shows (although the Golden Globes usually are pretty spot on when it comes to film... maybe we should let the Europeans do our Oscars, Grammys, Emmys, etc. They are usually more fit to judge with Americans smelling their own farts most of the time.), and because of that fact I'll continue to watch. Plus, The Police performed, man! Friggin Stuart Copeland! Have you no respect for a legend?

Tue Feb 13, 11:43:00 AM PST  
Blogger Train said...

Why would I want Euro's to give the awards. They can't even give the Footballer of the year award to someone who isn't overrated or a has been...

Tue Feb 13, 12:03:00 PM PST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, but they are blind to futbol because of their fan bias.

Tue Feb 13, 12:40:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jimbo said...

I think I prefaced my comments appropriately and I'm trying not to take a holier-than-thou attitude...but, come on 2.0...I loved the Police too...but regardless of whatever you saw, it was just three guys doing Police covers with a bigger audience than Scranton-icity...

are you really going to tell me the Dixie Chicks record was the best record of the year? honestly...I don't know anyone...(including my mom...big DC fan) that would agree with that?...I just wish they would start calling the Grammy's what they are...

"The Annual Hollywood Wank-Fest"

I believe those are the one's who enjoy their own anal secretions...

Tue Feb 13, 01:20:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And yet another perfectly good Grammy fashion post degenerates into sports talk. Figures.

Tue Feb 13, 01:27:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mark it 1:20PM - A@al Secretions is used in a post...

Tue Feb 13, 01:47:00 PM PST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Jimbo, apparently you didn't read my post, because I elluded to the fact that the Chicks album wasn't the best of the year. Good comeback comment though.

Maude, I'd welcome your thoughts on the subject.

And Goose... sheeit, even the SG blogged about the Grammys yesterday on Page 2.

Tue Feb 13, 02:31:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jimbo said...

oh I read it...and I'm not arguing that you, 2.0, don't believe it's not "THE" album of the year...I'm arguing that so many people give that type of thing credence (good thing they left the tape)...

What exactly does "Album of the Year" mean? it means a limited range of less than 100 "Pop" albums made by "Pop" artists, who consciously try to produce and record an "Album of the Year" go head to head in a fabricated setting under false pretense...and that you've forced me to ride the high horse by reviewing said false pretense show on this here web log...(not that I mind...it makes for good chatter...)

Tue Feb 13, 03:15:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that everyone knows that awards shows are a bunch of hooey. Therefore we should all just look at them as akin to fashion shows where the mannequins sing and dance. Or act (sort of). And I don't like the Dixie Chicks anyway. What I do like is that JT looks damn fine in a suit, Scarlett always looks amazing, and that I can't even tell who Hilary Duff is anymore because of her anorexia and big chiclet teeth.

Tue Feb 13, 03:18:00 PM PST  
Blogger Unknown said...

That's funny, because Hillary Duff came on and Jenny goes, "Oh, she looks cute." And I say, "Who is that?" Seriously, that girl had some work done and it didn't go well.

Tue Feb 13, 03:22:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe.I don't care what the Sportsguy did. When you get a national column on ESPN you can write whatever you want. Until then remember the old saying, "when you get invited to the biggest party of the year, you dance with who brung ya."

Tue Feb 13, 03:24:00 PM PST  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've honestly never heard that before. :|

Tue Feb 13, 03:28:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jimbo said...

I apologize for trying to uphold Lodge ideals and semi-independent thought...I will now go wait in line for the latest edition of In Touch where they can tell me who really "won" and "lost" on the red carpet...

the more and more I think about it 2.0...a little time in LA Land might be good for you...get all this Pop-Star Wanka Crush you have out...

Tue Feb 13, 04:05:00 PM PST  
Blogger Unknown said...

W*nker.

Tue Feb 13, 04:20:00 PM PST  
Blogger Train said...

Steve Kelley
Better days are coming.

So are the Red Sox and Yankees, Tigers and Angels.

The pitchers and catchers report today. Baseball is back.

This should be a national holiday.

- I just wretched on my keyboards...

Wed Feb 14, 09:56:00 AM PST  
Blogger Goose said...

Keyboards?

Multiple?

Wed Feb 14, 10:04:00 AM PST  
Blogger Train said...

yes, Insurance is a complex industry

Wed Feb 14, 10:28:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home