Thursday, March 01, 2007

10 Reasons You Should Watch "Heroes"

1. It’s a freakin’ Superheroes! What more do you want?!?!?!?

2. It has got one of my favorite comic book writers working on the show. Jeph Loeb’s work is probably best known to the lodge from his work on “Lost” (He also wrote “Commando” and “Teen Wolf” in the 80’s). In the comic book realm, he’s written a lot of books that I use to expose non comic book readers to, including “Superman: For All Seasons” (Which ended up being the book that inspired the TV show Smallville), “Batman: The Long Halloween” and “Daredevil: Yellow”.

3. The series started with half a dozen characters, all with their separate stories. None of them know each other, or have even met. Yet, as the series progresses their stories slowly begin to overlap, which is a nice change of pace to the typical “characters suddenly thrown together in a situation” type formula.

4. There’s ambiguousness to the characters in the show. Everyone (for the most part) is just starting to get powers, and nobody is really a good guy or a bad guy. They’re just people. Yet as things progress you start to see the characters are starting to branch off into those two camps. Some characters you were sure were going to be good guys are starting to show shades of darkness, and some guys you were positive were evil, you find yourself suddenly second guessing.

5. Not to lock “Lost”, but that show can sometimes be frustrating when it comes to either getting answers or waiting for something to happen. Not so with this show. The show is written in arcs (much like comics, really). The first season of “Heroes” basically has 3 arcs to it. Each arc tells a large story, but also builds towards the next arc. You probably saw ads for the first arc, “Save the Cheerleader, Save the World” and the repercussions of that led to the next arc “Are you the list”, now that that arc is wrapping up it’s about to lead into the final arc. What’s nice about this is that the show is constantly giving you the answers you want, while creating new questions.

6. It has one of the most interesting “Bad Guys” I’ve seen on TV. I don’t want to give away too much about him, as that would just spoil things, but he has quickly become my favorite characters on the show. He’s referred to by fans as H.R.G (Horn Rimmed Glasses) and refers to himself as Mr. Bennett. What surprised me about him is that when the show started I actually thought he was kind of two dimensional, but as the series progressed he’s turned out to be the most layered character in the show.

7. A lot of people criticize the show with the “X-Men” argument. That being that everyone’s powers seems straight out of the pages of that particular comic book. And too a degree they’re correct. Wolverine’s healing factor, Rogue’s absorption, Nightcrawlers teleportation, Shadowcats phasing, Professor X’s telepathy, etc, etc. But the powers themselves are the only link really between the two franchises. I guess the reason it doesn’t bother me, is because you see this kind of thing all the time in comics. Marvel comics has Mister Fantastic and DC has Plastic Man. There’s the Flash and Quicksilver. You see characters with similar powers all the time, but it’s really what you do with the character itself that makes it interesting.

8. It’s got Christopher Eccleston. He’s one of my favorite actors, and he’s always worth watching. He’s appeared in “Doctor Who”, “28 Days Later”, “Shallow Grave”, etc. etc. And his character on the show freakin’ rules!

9. They actually made George Takei cool. I honestly didn’t think that was possible.

10. And the 10th reason you should watch Heroes is so Train and I can talk about the show on the lodge. We usually spend Tuesday mornings chatting about what happened the night before, and we often mention how cool it would be if we could get the lodge involved.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I've been in and out of Season 1 and plan on catching up before it's all over online at NBC.com -- Monday Night, Jenny and I watched this week's episode with our friends in Santa Monica. They are huge fans of the show and the episode was a good one, and I felt it particularly was because they only stuck with one storyline (albeit with flashbacks), as opposed to switching between the "too many" characters of before.

Sulu was awesome though. It was shocking how badass he is in the show. Did he have to learn Japanese for the role? That is my question.

My main beef is that the Radioactive Guy looks exactly like a Caveman off the Geico commercials. Next week when you look at his scraggly beard, you'll totally agree with me, just wait.

Thu Mar 01, 03:02:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jimbo said...

I've seen about an episode and a half...and I'm not sure that amount of exposure is enough for me to give a yay or nay...I will say that I'd rather have shows like this become popular than the alternative...like my favorite show, CSI: Without a Trace in Miami: Homicide

not sure I'll get to this for a while...much like I put off The Wire only to find out what the SG was saying all along that it is what The Soprano's Experience used to be like

Thu Mar 01, 03:20:00 PM PST  
Blogger Casey said...

I totally agree about Monday's episode, Joe. In fact that episode is the reason I finally did a post about the show.
I actually really anjoy switching between all the stories EXCEPT for the fact that I hate the Nikki/Jessica story. It's, by far, the weakest link on the show.

And Sulu actually didn't have to learn Japanese for the show. He was already fluent in the language.

It's funny you mention the Geico caveman...I was thinking the exact same thing!!!

Thu Mar 01, 03:54:00 PM PST  
Blogger Casey said...

And here's some movie scoopage for Goose:

August will see the release of a 2 Disc special edition of Flash Gordon titled:

"Flash Gordon: Saviour of the Universe Edition"

Thu Mar 01, 04:30:00 PM PST  
Blogger theDUKE said...

i watched the first two episodes. and i am left with the unerring feeling that mainstream television is stagnant. the machine has you.

Thu Mar 01, 04:33:00 PM PST  
Blogger theDUKE said...

although, i agree - xmen powers may abound, but its the characterization that plays a key rolse. still, the story feels poor in my black heart.

Thu Mar 01, 04:34:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home