Thursday, January 15, 2009

Hollywood Hype: Golden Globes

Belatedly reporting from Hollywood, California, this is Hollywood 2.0 with his annual Golden Globes report. Yes, I know the fellas always hate on me for commenting on the awards shows, hating on the fashion and film columns like Statler and Waldorf in the peanut gallery. But like always, I don't particularly care what the boys think... I DO WHAT I WANT!

I thought the red carpet was pretty lame this year, with Jenny watching Ryan Seacrest and the skinny Gulianni chick on the E! Network. Apparently Seacrest is working everything nowadays, New Years Eve countdowns, morning radio talk shows, hosting American Idol, as well as a nightly E! show that Jenny watches that send me sprawling for my iPod to drown out the sound. He is officially the new Dick Clark. Although Seacrest might be working too much, as he tried to high-five a blind guy on American Idol this week.


Best and worst dressed? Salma Hayak looked amazing in a white classic dress, remaining in my Top 5 (fellas, you know what I'm talking about). Megan Fox is still hot, but more importantly, pulled off the gold look 83 times better than J-Lo, who apparently was attempting to dress AS a golden globe. Renee Zellweger just annoys me for no reason, but now I finally have one after rummaging through her grandmother's closet and pulling out this horrid black number. Eva Mendes also chosed white and was stunning and chose the perfect turquoise necklace to accent her skin and dress color. Jenny thought another Eva, Longoria was one of the best dressed, I can't agree. Although whatever she wears, she makes look good.

As far as the Golden Globes awards themselves. I thought most of the awards went to their deserved winners, with the exception of "In Treatment" star Gabriel Byrne winning for "Best Performance by an Actor In A Television Series - Drama". My two favorite shows are Dexter and Mad Men, and Michael C. Hall narrowly edged Jon Hamm in my mind as the true winner for that award. 30 Rock deservedly cleaned up in the comedy categories. And Colin Farrell was really good portraying a hitman on layaway in the film "In Brudges", one of my Top 5 films of the year. Finally, Slumdog Millionaire was in my Top 5 and is deserved of Best Picture (although my favorite movie of the year was WALL-E).

The GG's (as the industry apparently calls them down here in tinsletown) have the reputation of giving the awards to the deserved winners, rather that the popular winners that the Oscars tend to lean towards. And I enjoy them more each year. Less pomp and circumstance, just as much glitz and glamour, with quality recognition in the outcomes. The Golden Globes.

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Goose said...

Do you know how I know your gay?

You blog about fashion at the "Golden Globes"

Do you know how I know your gay?

You use the term "GG"

Do you know how I know your gay?

You refer to an outfits as a "Number"

Tue Jan 20, 07:32:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All accurate statements from Goose. But I'll give you big props for mentioning the Muppets and showing a pic of Kate Winslet, because I love her.
And I'll also mention that Jon Hamm is the classiest actor to show up since George Clooney. Even when you count Jon Hamm's John Ham.

Wed Jan 21, 03:57:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home