Tuesday, February 28, 2006

10--2 All In



10-2 in poker circles is better known as "the Doyle Brunson". He's won 2 World Series of Poker Championships with that hand. Is it because he's insanely lucky? No, like any other game of wits sometimes chances have to made at precise moments. Truly, going all in with 10-2 is like a D-day landing at Normandy or MacArthur's surprise landing at Inchon. There is a much better appreciation for this at a better level of play. I first looked into Doyle Brunson at my local Barnes and Noble and started reading Super System which really really sucked. It was originally published in 1979. The book is filled with pictures of him hanging out with mobsters feathered hair and aviator glasses. The thing that really got me was the strategy and advisement for the No-Limit Poker section was very very juvenile. I know i speak in hyperbole often, but i take gambling very seriously and honestly have been around gambling since I could walk. That is not a joke.

I play poker about every week and I've become really desperate for advance strategies and tactics in poker. The main thing i've been wanting to get at is the Heads Up game strategy. I refuse to read Hellmuth's books because I think he's an asshole. So I went into Barnes and Noble again this weekend and took a look at Super System 2 which is phenomenally leaps and bounds better. Why? It finally gets over rudimentary ideas and tactics and moves into sidestepping other players who are also good. If you're new to poker I'd really consider getting one of the skinnier books poker books for a good foundation. Super System 2 is more like a lecture with a theoretical base on it for advanced play. Doyle Brunson is continually saying that there are instances where you need to "feel" the next play is going to be. And I accept that being at an experience novice level I have that gambling instinct developing.

My overall feeling on poker is that it has really blown up, and getting conspiracy theorist on you: The new media hype was devised by 10 of the top poker players in the world in an attempt to further increase their winnings with new blood and new tournaments. It is control of principalities of money. I'm sure that the books we have out are worthless when it comes to high-level tournament play.

11 Comments:

Blogger Jimbo said...

yeah...I'm not sure I'm going to sit at a table with the Duke again...I've been around drinking and fishing since I could walk...neither one helps me see the table though...and I've tried to read poker books and just can't get through them, I still base the majority of my game on the irrationality of my bets...trust me: when you're not good enough to have a strategy, crazy works every time...

you going to make Thursday's table ?

Tue Feb 28, 01:02:00 PM PST  
Blogger theDUKE said...

It'll be a good warm up for the rest of my weekend to play Lodge Poker.

I was very happy to beat my regular poker circle's rock Craig the Vesuvian in final table play twice last weekend. $150+. *nodding head* Thank you Doyle Brunson.

Tue Feb 28, 01:08:00 PM PST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well, your wins over Craig were more because you slow played a couple of hands -- than because of ol' Doyle.

Tue Feb 28, 01:47:00 PM PST  
Blogger theDUKE said...

The Craig vs. Devin saga has took new levels this last weekend. When we had drinks it was all about slow play and the check raise. The most recent battle involved sheer brutality and brazen risk, a la Doyle Brunson style.

Breakdown: Craig always wants to take me to the limit because he thinks he's better than me. Normally when theres only a few people left he's willing to split the pot out. This weekend TWICE we were the last two people and I asked him if he just wanted to split it which he refused to since he wants to get me for the big bucks. Fine.

Well its back and forth play and we're not calling down all the way at all. Just betting and backing down constantly. I'm really mad and playing super aggressive against him because i literally have triple the chips with him and he still wants to try and break me. Well, we're on a hand. I'm big blind. He raises 2000 more before the flop. I'd was considering letting it go but in heads up play you're normally playing scrap cards anyways. Following super system 2 guidelines my cards held a double belly buster straight. OR double gut shot. which are great to play because they're unobvious. Craig had a pair of pocket Jacks on him, which is why he raised. I decided to call. I had 5-3 off suit.

The flop came down. 4-6-7. I sit there for a while. He told me "I can't believe you called me." He hadn't even seen my cards yet. I thought about betting. But I was frustrated and wanted to go home. "I'm all in," I said. Craig willing said, "Me too..."

He flipped over his cards before I did. He'll only do that if he thinks he's beat someone right off. I just say, "I have a straight." He doesn't say anything and runs 4th and 5th. A 2 of clubs... further solidifying my straight... a 10 of spades.

$100.00 happier. And more poker respect from a broken hand.

Tue Feb 28, 02:19:00 PM PST  
Blogger Unknown said...

The Craig is your new nemesis down in Renton, or should I say, "Reh-uhn". Good story.

Thursday night should be fun. Hopefully the Goose will make the trip up to the 206 so everybody in the Lodge that doesn't have school (Shawn has school that night) and has a pair (being a girl, the MCP apparently won't be making an appearance) will be present.

Tue Feb 28, 03:50:00 PM PST  
Blogger Goose said...

Barring unforseen circumstances the Goose will be there.

We need to set $$ amount so everyone can bring cash and no one MCP's out (aka being a pussy or lacking a "pair" as Joe puts it.)

Tue Feb 28, 04:12:00 PM PST  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm setting the buy-in for $5.00 per game. Hopefully we'll get in two games. So bring two $5 bills and a pair of sunglasses for effect.

Tue Feb 28, 04:31:00 PM PST  
Blogger theDUKE said...

sunglasses... thats not intimidating. i'm bringing a machete.

Tue Feb 28, 04:36:00 PM PST  
Blogger Train said...

So is this at my place or the Lodge?

Tue Feb 28, 04:56:00 PM PST  
Blogger theDUKE said...

We have a real Lodge? O_O is it like all black and we have to come in robes and headgear. does this mean i get to learn a handshake?

Tue Feb 28, 05:53:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jimbo said...

the real life Lodge only requires you to be 6' and below and it housed your "not-yet-released" Jackie Chan movie for over a month....and it enjoyed every moment

Wed Mar 01, 07:44:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home