Monday, February 27, 2006

"We almost had to move it up to the 10 second rule! "

So, I’ll try to make sure I spell correctly and format my images right before the Dutch SS finds me...

Saw a film that I found semi-amusing and wanted to give a couple of quotes to highlight a better-than average and under the radar north of the border comedy with a laundry list of B/C-stars from TV and stand-up…here’s a couple of quotes to entice those who haven’t seen the glory: (The only plot detail I’m going to give you is that its filmed in and around a restaurant named ShenaniganZ, which is a fairly successful chain in Canada so I’m told, if you want more go here: )

The Movie: WAITING…


“I guess we should feel some sort of guilt, but she broke the cardinal rule; never f’ with people who handle your food.”

To first time writer/director Rob McKittrick, for a movie premise that really hasn’t been utilized enough, having worked briefly in the restaurant cartel and hung around waiters/bartenders for a long time, especially during my late teens and early 20’s, this movie tapped into a lifestyle that was way too common to me and obviously came from a guy who had experience getting his chops busted by co-workers and customers. Also, I’m not sure why the zany-antics of the restaruant business hasn’t been exploited by TV/Cable, seems fairly easy to have 23-20minute episodes focusing on different characters who work at a restaurant. Hmmm, this could be the thing that gets me a Nielson box.

“So you're the coolest guy at ShenaniganZ, big f’n deal! That's like being the smartest person with Down syndrome!”

To Ryan Reynolds as Monty, I should seriously have a disdain for this guy, but I find that I generally like the sarcastic semi-lead, semi-supporting roles that he's typically cast in, not sure how much is acting and how much is just him, but he doesn’t annoy me as much as I would've guessed. He does a good job of keeping this film connected between the one serious plot line involving his buddy Dean, and the antics of the rest of the staff.

I’m not sure if he’s really made for films though, I see him as a Jason Lee 2.0 in about 4-5 years once the movie roles dry up a little. (Also he gets points for the Canadian hook up he’s worked with McAdams and Morissette, and I just found out he’s not Burt Reynolds son, this is like the initial viewing of ‘Empire’ all over again)

“We need to seize the day. Be enthusiast…Aw, yeah! Carpe deez nuts! I can't WAIT to quit this job!”

This one is to the Dane Cook and the dude from the ex-Comedy Central show “Con”-Skyler Stone as two of the line cooks. There was not a whole lot of chances to shine, but they played there 5 minutes of screen time well and represented fairly accurately depictions of all the cooks I’ve ever worked with, bonus goes to the “What happens when you ask for your food to be remade” scene. 2.0, the Dane Cook factor should be enough for you to check this film out.

”Mitch I’m going to be honest with you, I could go over the procedures and operation of working the floor, but you can learn all that in an hour…what I really need to ask you, in order for you to “fit in”, is how do you feel about frontal male nudity?

The real reason this movie is getting a post is from the previous line and Luis Guzman’s character as the head line cook and “the game” he invented. I don’t want to give too much away other than after you see the movie and someone references either “the brain”, "the bat-wing" or “the goat”, you will laugh…this is guaranteed. And props to McKittrick for hooking Guzman up with a good comedy role, I don't what it is, but Guzman always makes a film, that much better, like tabasco or guacamole.

“The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.”

To David Koechner, who is quickly turning into the #1 “that guy” of comedic films. He turns in a memorable role as the restaurant manager and although doesn’t get the quality lines like “I will smash your face into a car windshield, and then take your mother Dorothy Mantooth out for a nice seafood dinner and never call her again!,” he still brings something to the table and is making a case to be in the next 35 comedy releases throughout the year.

“You need to invent your own penis-showin' game. “

And to a Goose favorite, Chi McBride as the emotional and spiritual guru of dishwashing "Bishop", he rounded out an eclectic cast and represented with a glass of Cognac at the final party, I don't why, but that gets points in my book.

I’m not sure this is going down as a “phenomenal” debut, ala Clerks, from a writer/director who basically wrote about experiences in a Denny’s in Utah, but it definitely passes the 2am, HBO and sitting-in-line-for-a-movie-quoting-other-movies tests. I liked it, but then again I didn't like "Audition" so what the f' do I know.

And remember: If you can pull 'The Goat' off, you're a god among men.

6 Comments:

Blogger Casey said...

KHAANNNN!!!!!

This was going to be the first film on my weekly review post on Wednesday.

Mon Feb 27, 12:54:00 PM PST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Just queue'd it up. Jimbo, breaking it down like Jim Caple hopped up on stats.

Mon Feb 27, 01:51:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jimbo said...

MCP, I'd like to know your thoughts on it...I went into it extremely skeptical and weary, and frankly if not for the kitchen crew, probably would've been disappointed...but, its one of the funnier films of its genre I've seen in a while...

Mon Feb 27, 02:38:00 PM PST  
Blogger theDUKE said...

I do medical insurance work. I was working on case over the phone with someone at Premera. This is the line that made me laugh so hard I couldn't even think of an excuse. “So you're the coolest guy at ShenaniganZ, big f’n deal! That's like being the smartest person with Down syndrome!”

~I'm sorry I'm sorry, what was that last amount again?..."

Mon Feb 27, 03:05:00 PM PST  
Blogger The Dude said...

I saw this movie a few weeks ago and I have to say I'm a fan of Ryan Reynolds. Although this was not one of his finer movies. The kitchen crew were quality and I loved the g-wannabes/stoners...b/c you know there are busboys like that all the time at any store.

It made me cringe when I saw what they did to that woman who complained about her meal. It makes me think twice. I'm pretty nice to my wait staff so I don't feel like this movie hit home but I think it should spread some light now people who treat their wait staff like crap!

Mon Feb 27, 03:20:00 PM PST  
Blogger theDUKE said...

Ok, i'm going to have to explore Audition now. Even though I already hate that director Takashii Miike. I watched all three of his Dead or Alive series. The first one was Ok, the second was getting out there, the third was just WTF!!!

Trust me, I understand he's trying to express alienation of japanese society and dehumanization of culture. But geez... I already know i'm not going to like it. I'm going to try it just for the sake of doggin it later.

Theres lots of japanese stuff I love, just not Takashi Miike.

Mon Feb 27, 03:57:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home