Wednesday, February 22, 2006

First Time I Met The Blues

In the need to fill up space on this here web log, and to divert the conversation away from pseudo-hot Russian Vampires(which amazingly isn't happening), I’m going to shift my Wednesday highlight to music and a man…well…sometimes there’s just a man for his place and time…his place has been the blues and his time as been the last 40+ years…

Preface: last Friday I get an email from my old man, who on occasion is known to be a touch impulsive, when he threw down who was coming to town, without a second thought I signed up for a father/son concert debauchery moment. Honestly, when the name BUDDY F’N GUY is thrown down, anyone who’s ever heard a guitar should stop immediately and proceed to the nearest stage to witness one of Americana’s last living legends. Here’s an abridged reflection for the ADHD world of the Lodge:

Back-story:

b. George Guy, 1936 in Louisiana, moved to Chicago in ’57, landed first session recording contract in ’58 playing with legendary harp man Junior Wells…he got in with the Chicago-Blues scene following that and placed his own signature with the sound that directly influenced every major Rock N' Roll and Blues guitar player of the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's, '10's....

What the hell is Chicago-Blues?: Chicago-Blues began as a result of industrial expansion in the North and economic plight in the South that sent a large majority of the Southern minority-population to northern cities, such as sweet Home. Guy arrived in Chicago around the time that Howlin’ Wolf, Muddy Waters and Sonny Boy Williamson were getting a name for themselves on the club circuit. All trained on the Delta-Blues from the Robert Johnson-era, which usually involved nothing more than an acoustic guitar and perhaps harmonica, the new generation of Blues guitarist utilizied technology(electric guitars) and jazz influence (drums and bass guitar) to create an updated version of the blues now famous from the area it began in.

Although Guy was not one of the first pioneers of the Chicago-Blues, he pushed the sound in a direction that acted as the bridge between the Chicago-Blues and Rock N’ Roll in not only sound, but also stage performance and off-stage behavior.

Songs or Links? unfortunately no, I couldn't find any direct links to songs other than Amazon, but check out this record for a good anthology of his work, however like with most legendary artists the proof is in the pudding, or the live show

What does the man mean to me: (or my Jerry Maguire Manifest moment)
During my last few years of High School, only a few things stand out: 3.5 grams cost $40, always schedule something involving PE for your 4th or 6th period class and Jimi Hendrix was a God…Not just to be Rock-God-David Lee Roth style, but lifestyle altering and required repeated immitation by the best HS Psychedelic Band on the Plateau…even to the point of strapping 6 hits of acid into a bandana and playing through the night, and then the next night…(that’s another story)…The music, the apparent message and lifestyle all influenced my reality(or lack there of) at that specific moment.

Anyway, during last Friday’s show I found myself listening to Guy’s leads and his on-stage persona and thinking, WOW, every bit of credence that I’ve given to guys like Clapton and Hendrix is now cut down a little bit, because of how novel and original Guy’s performance was and is today, even after 40 years of being on stage an in front of the main lights.

The sound of Guy’s Stratocaster as he bends notes and plays with the same sort of off-timing that I was used to hearing from Hendrix was eerie and a little sad at the same time. I closed my eyes a few times and felt that this was the closest that I’d ever come to being able to enjoying the man that shaped my reality almost a decade ago.

However, I couldn’t help myself from wondering how unique was Hendrix really? On numerous occasions Hendrix listed Guy as his main influence, and after seeing the original it was hard to argue on behalf of Hendrix. I felt cheapened by the believed-originality of Hendrix growing up and realized that cold hard reality of the entertainment world and one of the last pieces of my childhood erroded, a process that began in the late 90's with the creation of the Jabba's Palace song and dance. I came to the conclusion that ripping people off is the name of game when it comes to entertainment and that I really hate George Lucas.

--camera fade out and then fade in to a new day---

Anyway, (I'm working on getting to a point) last night I was listening to the Hendrix song "Tax Free" , which was recorded during his final months from the outstanding record, “South Saturn Delta”, and was relieved because I didn’t hear Buddy Guy in the song, instead I heard what Guy described as the “Coltrane of Rock N’Roll”. There was the inclusion of a brass section, an off-time bass line, shuffling drums, silk-smooth understated guitar and a sound that was as unique as his wardrobe. The song reminded me that Hendrix career still stands as the greatest tragedy ever dealt to Rock N' Roll, he's remembered for the pop hits of the 60's, but it was his work in the 8 months he spent in the 70's that was about to change the whole game.

This led to a greater thought-bubble about how influences and past experiences aren’t just refined to art, but how everybody deals with influence and past experiences in order to create a new reality and perception, Acid bandana or not. Thanks for reading.

15 Comments:

Blogger theDUKE said...

I preferred acid laced underwear. It made me feel funny inside.

-
-
-
I kowtow to my promotion as guest viewer to poster. After work I shall begin publication.

Wed Feb 22, 01:21:00 PM PST  
Blogger Train said...

I never know how to react when I read a music review. I always feel like I'm missing out on something that everyone knows about except me. This because I never was into music growing up.

That being said I love the post and strangely there was a show about Guy the other night and I was blown away by his music.

I feel like I need a lodge starter kit when it comes to music. Something to get me started.

Wed Feb 22, 02:07:00 PM PST  
Blogger Goose said...

a starter kit would be nice

Wed Feb 22, 02:17:00 PM PST  
Blogger Train said...

I mean this just so I don't have to hear this all the time " Train your music sucks"

Wed Feb 22, 02:31:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I may have a record here. This post is from my third area code
360 bellingham at noon.
425 kirkland at 2
253 in kent at 2:48

Wed Feb 22, 02:53:00 PM PST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Train, your music is "narrow" is more accurate. But Jimbo, great review on what sounds like a memorable night watching THE Guy.

I've had the pleasure of seeing legendary guitarists B.B.King & John Lee Hooker, and Buddy Guy would have been a great show. There something about a bluesman going to work on the stage. Growing up, my Mom was the one who blasted the Blues on the Elenbaas family stereo, with Buddy Guy being in regular rotation.

Did he play Mustang Sally, Midnight Train, or Worried Mind? You just can't pass up an opportunity to see a legendary musician. You'll end up regretting passing up a chance to hear greatness first person.

Wed Feb 22, 02:54:00 PM PST  
Blogger Train said...

What you just bypassed the 206? What's with that?

Wed Feb 22, 02:54:00 PM PST  
Blogger Train said...

Narrow is a good term. I mean growing up with Santana and Menudo is a pretty narrow selection even if I had a little Miami Sound Machine mixed in..

Wed Feb 22, 02:56:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jimbo said...

starter kit includes:

1 C# Harmonica, 1 set of black shades, 1/2 pack of cigarettes, 1 converted police car & a 1 night gig at Joliet State Prison

Wed Feb 22, 02:56:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jimbo said...

2.0...unfortunatley he didn't play any of the three you mentioned, I think he only ended up playing about 6 or 7 songs over a 90 minute set...because sometimes, that's what's called for

Wed Feb 22, 02:59:00 PM PST  
Blogger Goose said...

Joe. Thats pretty arrogant saying that Trains Music taste is narrow. He may like lots of music that you dont listen to. That would make your taste narrow.

Dont judge people like that. People may think that you are an Ass.

Oh wait....never mind

Wed Feb 22, 04:35:00 PM PST  
Blogger The Dude said...

Jimbo...great post...I remember seeing Guy during that Hendrix tribute and sitting back and enjoying the raw feeling and emotion Guy puts into each note. I haven't seen a full set but from the sounds of it, he was Jimi before Jimi was Jimi. Anyways, no comment on Jordan's musical taste, we all have gaps in certain aspects of culture.

Wed Feb 22, 04:45:00 PM PST  
Blogger The Dude said...

Wow, Train...take your panties out of your crack...I'm just sayin' where some people flurish...others lack and it can go the other way around.

Thu Feb 23, 08:27:00 AM PST  
Blogger Jimbo said...

Train, I wouldn't take too much crap about culture from a man who netflix'd "Chasing Liberty"...nothing but love Dude...go Dawgs!

Thu Feb 23, 08:40:00 AM PST  
Blogger Train said...

But your still sayin' I lack. Man I thought we were pals man. I hate you...

So, you coming over tonight to watch the UW game?

Thu Feb 23, 08:40:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home