Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Filmclub 2K6 Vol 6

Since the entire Lodge saw the same flick last night, I’m going to do film club a little differently. This week will be just about Nightwatch, and the other films I was going to do write ups for will get added to next weeks column.

Nightwatch

Plot Summary -- …nevermind. If you didn’t get it when you saw it, I can’t help you here.

Review/Thoughts -- I’ll start with the bad before I hit the good.



- The pacing at times felt terribly off.
- I didn’t like the editing during the whole Anton/Video Game guy face off at all.
- If you didn’t know this was part of a trilogy (or your name is goose), you’d probably hate the flick.

I’m going to go ahead and jump straight into the Star Wars vs. Nightwatch comparison. It’s always interesting watching two filmmakers try to pull off the same story in different ways. In this case, why does the cute innocent kid become evil? In Star Wars we had three movies of the audience saying “Well, I guess that makes sense…” The Jedi are knights in shining armor, yet Anakin jumps to the dark side due to having some bad dreams. I know that’s overly simplistic, but just go with me on this.

What I really loved about Nightwatch was that you could really see why someone would choose the bad guys. This movie isn’t really a case of Good versus Evil. The good guys aren’t truly good. They just realize that someone has to stop the Dark side. The light is flawed, and f**ked up and doing whatever they can to win. Really, it’s less of a case of these guys being good and more of a case of them being not evil. There’s an interesting Star Wars parallel there. Lucas tried to add a flawed level to the Jedi order, making them arrogant and egotistical. Unfortunately it’s never clearly established in a way that resonates with an audience.

The second thing that I really dug about the way the kid was converted was that it was through sheer manipulation and truth. As opposed to Palpatine who just lied through his teeth until he got his way. The Video Game dude simply revealed something that would shatter the child’s trust in the light, and more importantly, Anton.

Which brings me back to Star Wars, does anyone really get why Anakin stopped trusting the Jedi? Seriously…it’s a stretch, and we only buy it so we can see Obi-Wan kick the crap out of him later. All in all, I think it’s actually sad that in 3 movies Lucas couldn’t establish why an innocent person would choose the Dark side, and really Nightwatch sums it up in one scene.

Another thing that I really, really loved about Nightwatch was the films use of subtitles. This was the first movie I’ve ever seen use subtitles as a story telling device, and I think it worked better than anyone could have hoped. But adding things like fades, or color or even motion in certain places, the filmmakers were able to add to the viewing experience. Subtitles are usually considered a hindrance, but they turned it into a tool.

The other comparison I had read about quite a bit was between this movie and Underworld (They were both made at the same time). Now, aside from Kate Bekinsale in tight black outfits, there’s really no comparison between the two. Underworld is kind of a crappy movie (albeit an entertaining one).

Part 2 (Daywatch) of the trilogy just opened in Russia on January 1st, and should be out in the states this time next year (or maybe sooner if this does really well in theaters). It’s doing monster business in Russia and early reviews say it’s better than Nightwatch. Part 3 (Duskwatch) is oddly enough going to be filmed in English with big named actors joining the cast (the director has expressed a strong desire to cast Tobey Maguire…I wonder if it’s for the role of the now grown up child). I for one am really excited to see how this series plays out.

19 Comments:

Blogger Goose said...

Ok. A couple of comments about the movie last nights Jayneee.

1) I knew the movie was a trilogy so kiss my ass.

2) I actually agree with a couple of points that you make.

I think comparing this movie to the Anakin story was interesting. I can see your point. I always thought his trip to the darkside was kind of a strech. Nothing seemed to happen to him that was so traumatic that it would change his entire view of life, so much that he would slaughter the Jedi.
I think we all could say that knowing your Dad tried to use black magic to abort your life, would sway you to not trust him.

It was definately a more definitive way to have a young child choose sides.

After letting the movie set in I can see its appeal as a story.

Now that being said.
What the hell do you have against the Star Wars Saga and George Lucas? This is the second time (Serenity being the 1st) that you have directly taken shots at the story.

I would expect a little more compassion from a guy whos experience waiting in line for Sith could be summed up with the title "Dorks dressed in Bespin gear"


Its like George Lucas was your father and disowned you for dying your hair that color.

I think thats enough shots for a while. I'll let you retort, then I will shoot you down again.

Wed Feb 22, 01:45:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jimbo said...

WOW...that was intense

Wed Feb 22, 02:19:00 PM PST  
Blogger Casey said...

First off, I've never ever dressed in a Star Wars costume...although I am friends with a bunch of Garrison Titan...anyway

A little back story. I'm a hard core Star Wars nut. Did you ever hear of the Seattle Star Wars Society? I was a board member. I'm not proud, but it's worth pointing out.
Did you ever hear about that guy that spent 6 months in line for Star Wars? Yeah, that was a buddy of mine, and I did all the video work for his website.

However....

Lucas seriously dropped the ball on the prequels. Episode 1 is awful. Episode 2 is not much better and Episode 3 proved to be too little too late. I could write a freaking book about my knowledge of Star Wars. About half of that book would cover where George went wrong.

Also, it's easy to bring in Star Wars comparisons because it's something everyone has seen and knows very well.

Wed Feb 22, 02:31:00 PM PST  
Blogger Train said...

WOW - Jayne is making enemies left and right.

Wed Feb 22, 02:33:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jimbo said...

I'm going to stay out this one...however, I do think that the similar plot lines and the difference in quality between the two is an actual issue

Wed Feb 22, 02:38:00 PM PST  
Blogger Goose said...

I don't consider jayne an enemy

we have many differences in opinion. There is no hate like with Joe.

Wed Feb 22, 02:46:00 PM PST  
Blogger The Dude said...

Both fighters are getting verbal warnings from their referee Mills Lane. I can see a Jayne/Goose battle of the stars in claymation. I'm not goin' to take sides. I did enjoy the film. I will second the notion that using the subtitles to enhance the movie was good. The Lodge needs to go out to more gatherings...it brings the A-team together and the Lodge family together...even now when it is growing.

Wed Feb 22, 02:53:00 PM PST  
Blogger Unknown said...

The creative use of subtitles was one of the best parts about the film. And you could say that the dicodemy between the Light vs. Dark and Good vs. Evil, or the Vader "chosen one" angle is so done. But I think you are taking the easy way out. Classic story telling throughout time has two sides to every story. And I think Night Watch did a pretty good job in bringing out a new and creative story.

You could say that Aragorn played that same part in the LOTR, or that the Pevensie children tip the scales towards the side of good in the Narnia stories; but you wouldn't dare call those stories "recycled". And those books were written in the mid-20th century.

Wed Feb 22, 03:06:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jimbo said...

so Jayne...does the Society still meet? maybe this is where we can have our Lodge gatherings perhaps? sit Goose next to the guy who waited in line for 6 months and watch the verbal assualt for hours...

Wed Feb 22, 03:20:00 PM PST  
Blogger Casey said...

I do agree that it's a classic story, and really one that goes back thousands of years.

But considering the day and age (and audience), Star Wars is probably the best recent example (and wouldn't you say that Frodo is more of the chosen one than Aaragorn?).

The main thing that brought me to the Star Wars prequel example was the fact that both films tried to give a version of good that was flawed. Star Wars just happened to fail miserably.

Wed Feb 22, 03:21:00 PM PST  
Blogger Train said...

I give the movie thumbs up for the fact that it was a lot more cerebral then I expected. I am not talking Terrance Malick here but they stayed away from a bloodbath introduction to the trilogy. Oh, Goose this is a trilogy by the way. I expected to really see a mindless movie with lots of blood and gore but was pleasantly surprised with the storyline albeit a borrowed and clichéd storyline. I can get past that cliché simply because I bought the kid turning to the dark. Hell yeah, who is going to stick with pops after he tried to have a vodka swilling grandma witch erase your existence. Sure, I’d be ticked. Plus, the darks got the hotter woman potential. Though I think they need to expand on the Tiger Cub – she was looking like she had something working for her but that might have been the fact she could turn into a friggin’ tiger.

I am anxious to see the sequel and how they work the dark section ala TESP. I sense the blood and body count is going to rise with the darks getting there own hour + to make a statement plus the tend to have a wilder night life. I’m lookin’ for a showdown centered either at the Kremlin or a euro-trash techno dance club. I mean where else do Eastern-euro vamps hang out? PS- I better got more shots of the Russian Spice Girls. I am not asking I’m demanding it.

I will admit that the movie has seriously peeked my interest in Russian film and Russia itself. Was it me or did Moscow look like all it was housing projects and bombed out buildings? Gotta love communism, cause it’s for the people.

Wed Feb 22, 03:30:00 PM PST  
Blogger Casey said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Wed Feb 22, 03:34:00 PM PST  
Blogger theDUKE said...

I loved this movie. Being a huge fan of the paranormal and foreign film, this just drops on top of recent horror genre movies like 2 ton gorilla. Besides the awesome subtitling it felt like the miedeval folklore/mythology aspect was laced in excellently making it a perfect balance for a post modern era. The last movie i felt infused this old era feel with a modern tangent was Monster Squad

Wed Feb 22, 04:01:00 PM PST  
Blogger Casey said...

Duuuude...Good call on Monster Squad.

I f**king love that movie! I've been waiting for Universal to put it out on DVD forever!!!!

Wed Feb 22, 04:10:00 PM PST  
Blogger Goose said...

Train. What part of " I knew the movie was a trilogy so kiss my ass. " did you not understand?

Do I need to translate?

Sabía que la película era una trilogía así que bese mi asno

There. Hope that helps



And for Joe
Ik wist movie trilogy kust zo mijn ezel was

Here is greek for the hell of it
Ήξερα ότι ο κινηματογράφος ήταν μια τριλογία φιλά έτσι το γάιδάρο μου

Wed Feb 22, 04:40:00 PM PST  
Blogger Train said...

I really have no words for the vastness of your geek-itude

Wed Feb 22, 04:48:00 PM PST  
Blogger Casey said...

Here it is in Klingon

jIH ghaHta' vaj wIj DoH

Wed Feb 22, 04:50:00 PM PST  
Blogger theDUKE said...

Monster Squads not on DVD yet???? They have the foresight to mass produce Goonies but not Monster Squad!!! Maybe we need to find a virgin girl to do some incantations to make this happen.

Wed Feb 22, 04:52:00 PM PST  
Blogger Unknown said...

I was referencing Aragorn as the chosen one because his rise to accepting the crown as King turned the battle and "tipped the scales" -- ala our classic story line.

Thu Feb 23, 09:32:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home