Tuesday, February 28, 2006

I'll take a sack of black powder and your best throwing stars


Where have all the ninja’s gone? I ask you this because there is a seriously steep drop off of in quality ninja movies. Gone are the days when I would sneak out of bed late at night to watch HBO and maybe catch something with Michael Dudikoff because if I did I was guaranteed a least a few throwing stars and if I stayed up long enough I might be to see the final duel. The final duel always consisted of one man usually with a rocking mullet or man perm taking on the entire population of the Philippines. For some reason these movies took place there, must be because they used the Islands as a pseudo Vietnam for the majority of ‘80s action/war movies and Imelda needed the money to buy all her shoes.

Now people can say well the Ninja’s have just moved to cyber space. There is a whole virtual war between Pirates and Ninja’s because if you didn’t get the memo they don’t like each other. I want the celluloid ninja’s the cheesy 50K budget movie that had bad dubs and actors that looked like they just got off the boat.

I really have no idea what this post is essentially about I just wanted to shed some light on the ninja. And give my personal favorite ninja movies that must be seen. For the more cultured people in the lodge you might scoff at this but I am not looking for the next big thing from Japan or Asia I want to talk about the crap I watched on cable back when cable was still taboo, when you had to watch the playboy channel through the squiggly lines.

So here is my stab in no particular order.

1. ENTER THE NINJA (1981): Basically what I remember about this is it stars Franco Nero. He plays an army vet who goes through “ninja training” then helps eliminate the bad guys from a Pilipino farm. The movie is dubbed for some reason since I think most of the cast spoke English. The dub is a little off but that just adds to the quality factor.

2: REVENGE OF THE NINJA (1983): Wow, what is better than a group of immigrants moving to the US to start a new life and open a doll shop? Well its better when you add a drug smuggling ring that is using the dolls to ship heroine. This can only lead to one thing those immigrants got to use there ancient ninja skills to drop a few round houses. The swords and stars fly and so does the body count. The only real drawback is that it wasn’t filmed in the Philippines.


3: AMERICAN NINJA (1985): I think the tag line says it all… The Orient created the world’s deadliest art. Now there is an American Master. Norris himself was originally cast to play the lead but for some reason passed on it to do we can only hope Bradock: Missing and Action 3. Michael Dudikoff plays the master in a movie that spawned numerous sequels. Also it was directed by Sam Firstenberg, the master of ninja movies. He later went on to direct Breakin’ 2 electric bugaloo.


These movies made the train who he is today. For a period of about 3 years I couldn’t go anywhere unless I had my plastic throwing stars and sword. Not to mention my sleek black ninja uni-tard. I doubt any of these movies are on DVD but you might catch them late on a weeknight and for that I still love America.

19 Comments:

Blogger theDUKE said...

You forgot about the bestest one ever. It even came out in the 80's ninja prime period. frikkin GYMKATA!!!!.

Tue Feb 28, 12:48:00 PM PST  
Blogger Goose said...

I just had a mental picture of Train in a uni-tard.

someone poke me in the eye with a fork now.

Tue Feb 28, 12:48:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jimbo said...

seriously, how could you forget GymKata...the fusion of two deadly arts...

Tue Feb 28, 12:56:00 PM PST  
Blogger theDUKE said...

It was major factor in the crippling of the USSR. In light of current world events and the passing of the latest Olympics we should help herald a new movie.

Skate-Chun. The fusing of speed skating and Kung Fu arts. Toppling of North Korea may be just one step closer.

Tue Feb 28, 01:04:00 PM PST  
Blogger Train said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Tue Feb 28, 01:25:00 PM PST  
Blogger Train said...

Gymkata is more of just a karate movie. I don't think it has the right ninja quotiant. But I thought I would give a synopsis for those who don't know it...


GYMKATA : The skill of gymnastics, the kill of karate

Johnathan Cabot is a champion gymnast. In the tiny, yet savage, country of Parmistan, there is a perfect spot for a "star wars" site. For the US to get this site, they must compete in the brutal "Game". The government calls on Cabot, the son of a former operative, to win the game. Cabot must combine his gymnastics skills of the west with fighting secrets of the east and form GYMKATA!

Tue Feb 28, 01:34:00 PM PST  
Blogger theDUKE said...

If you can see a ninja, he's not a real ninja.

But if you see a gymnast doing karate, he could be a ninja. Especially when he's fighting other ninjas.

Tue Feb 28, 01:50:00 PM PST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Train, the phrase "quality ninja movies" really doesn't apply to any American made martial arts movie... unless we include unintentional comedy into the rating system.

I'd also include Best of the Best in the conversation. That didn't shape a tiny Lovato in any way?

Tue Feb 28, 02:00:00 PM PST  
Blogger theDUKE said...

Joe, Best of the Best was great! I cannot allow your poor judgement to include that in this post, as it was based on a real life sporting event and had absolutely no ninjas in it.

Tue Feb 28, 02:05:00 PM PST  
Blogger Train said...

Joe, you really believe that I think these are quality movies?

This was more of an homage to cheessy ninja movies I watched as a kid.

Tue Feb 28, 02:11:00 PM PST  
Blogger seatownshawn said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Tue Feb 28, 02:59:00 PM PST  
Blogger seatownshawn said...

Probably doesn't qualify as a ninja movie technically....but "Sword of the Ninja" (also known as 'The Challenge') was great if you like Scott Glenn and gratuitous violence. I think that was directed by Frankenheimer....not sure, suppose it would be easy to check.

Tue Feb 28, 03:01:00 PM PST  
Blogger seatownshawn said...

Nice...upon further review...'The Challenge' was in fact directed by John Frankenheimer and the "Martial Arts Coordinator" was 'Steve Seagal'.....all the way back in 1982....his first official film credit.

Tue Feb 28, 03:03:00 PM PST  
Blogger Goose said...

I think everyone is missing a big opportunity here. TRAIN IN A UNITARD!!! Why arent more people ripping on this?

Oh well I give up. Apparently this childhood memory will stand along side the McQuade forts and Jimmys fear of Ronald McDonald

Tue Feb 28, 03:44:00 PM PST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Goose, Train in a unitard is something I hope I'll never see. We probably didn't comment because the phrase alone creeps the hell out of us and each of us is trying to block the image out of our heads.

Tue Feb 28, 04:23:00 PM PST  
Blogger Unknown said...

If you want real life ninja's -- check this out. Don't worry, Pemcoians... it's a google video.

Tue Feb 28, 04:39:00 PM PST  
Blogger theDUKE said...

from a social perspective that was very sad. america's only playgrounds are shopping malls. this russian kid owns jumping buildings. After Night Watch I think a lot of Russians are coming out as Others.

Tue Feb 28, 05:51:00 PM PST  
Blogger Unknown said...

ya got me, that jumping guy was waaay better. holy smokes. this should be in the x-games next year.

Tue Feb 28, 09:10:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jimbo said...

the next generation of Ninja will show no mercy to all mall-goers...and building tops

Wed Mar 01, 07:41:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home