Thursday, October 19, 2006

Pitch Talk Thursday Presents: Chapter One-Drogba means West African Princess

Ok, it's time to make Thursdays home to not only the Big Guy, but also Pitch Talk Thursday. Here’s to starting a new tradition of the weekly roundup from the World of Futbol. I’m going to start it off by recapping the last two days of Matchday 3 in the greatest Futbol League in the world: (queue the music)The Champions!!!

(Just try to imagine Tommy Smyth narrotating this text and I understand that not everyone is going to be into this, which is why I'm trying to give a 101 to perhaps maybe spark your interest, so thanks for reading)

Matchday 3 marks the 1st half-way marker for the 1st round of the Champions League and on Tuesday we saw a couple of teams clearly separate themselves from the pack.

Group E: After pulling the shocking 2-0 victory in the opening round Lyon has put themselves 3 points over the mighty and overrated Real “Juve-West” Madrid. Tuesday saw dominate performances by both clubs in their wins over Ukrainian club Dynamo Kiev and Romanian club Steaua Bucureşti. This group is basically done at this point with the French and Spanish clubs clearly a step or too above the rest. The match to determine 2nd round placement occurs during a crucial Matchday 5 matchup at the Santiago Bernabéu Stadium in the Spanish capital.

Group F: In a group that is very near and dear to my heart with two clubs that cause a point of conflict and bring into question my dedication as a fan. I’m speaking of course about the Red Devils from Manchester and the Bhoys of Celtic from Glasgow Park. The best game of this entire group came on a Matchday 1 meeting in which Ole Gunnar the 33 year old-boy wonder from the North delivered the go ahead shortly after the break to give the Devils the three points.

Since that match, both Celtic and ManU have dominated Kobenhavn and Portuguese side Benefica. The disappointment so far in this group has been the play of Benefica who moved on to Round 2 last year after shocking the Devils at home with a draw and a W on the road. The Devils are getting healthy again and have benefited from a semi-weak group and good draws on the Matchday 3 & 4 turnaround with perhaps one of the lowest teams in Champions League in Kobenhavn, even though it feels good to say their name. Celtic have the opportunity to punch their ticket to the next round in Matchday 4 if they can find a way to get either a point or three in the land of falling Midfielders. CAUTION: PORTUGESE AHEAD!!!

Group G: This is turning out to be a very interesting group with three extremely competitive clubs in CSKA Moskva, Arsenal and FC Porto (2004 Champions League Winners). Moskva has been the surprise so far leading the group at 7 points after three matches including three points vs. the Gunners from Tuesday. I don’t know if Moskva can keep this pace up, especially with a turnaround game in Matchday 4 at Highbury, where the pitch is short and the Frenchmen run wild. My prediction is for Porto and Arsenal to prevail out of this group, but no worries Hamburg, that’s why they play the game. (Sidenote: three Portuguese teams in this years Champions League, I'm not sure this is a positive)

Group H: Not a whole lot of excitement with this group. In FIFA '06 we would have the SIM on, but here they actually have to play the game. Reported match fixers AC Milan currently lead by two points over French side Lille OSC with Belgian side Brussels (Anderlecht) and AEK Anthens pulling up the final two spots. I don’t foresee any major upsets and I hate Italian futbol so let’s just move on.

Group A: Resident Lodge Futbol commentator would have you believe this is the greatest Group of Futbol clubs ever, for the sole placement of Uber-Clubs FC Barcelona (Barca) and Super-Uber Club and Nightwatch supporters Chelski (Ze Blues), who met in a Matchday 3 battle-royal yesterday. Feeling that these two clubs will most definitely be moving on I’ll skip my commentary on German side Werder Bremen and Bulgarian club FC Levski Sofia. (Even though Bremen has the opportunity to pull ahead of Barca after after Matchday 4, that will be covered in a later post.)

Yesterdays match commentary: So I was still a little bitter from missing the 2nd half of ManU’s match vs. Kobenhavn on Tuesday due to an apparent Comcast DVR issue, still not sure what happened, but I blame 2.0 and women naturally. I knew that one DVR screw up a week is all the Futbol gods would allow, so naturally the match involving Train's team would go off without a hitch, I was correct. The game was labled as the best of the Champions League so far, well.....

Not sure I saw much of that yesterday, instead I saw a Barca side that continues to make the worst Kit decisions I’ve ever seen (honestly? I know you have a Dutch coach, but the all-Orange look takes the Dutch pride thing a little too far, and burned an image in my tele that I'm not sure I can get out). The play on the pitch wasn’t much better, with Lodge favorite and former Chelsea F now Barca F Eiður Guðjohnsen looking lost at times trying to play the middle of the pitch while 2006 World Player of the Year and #1 Athlete most commonly mistaken for a Predator, Brasilian Ronaldinho roamed down the left and right side continually making poor pass and bad touches. The other world class player Spanish MF Deco wasn’t much better, at times forcing the ball into the heart of one of the best defensive back fours there is in the game. The play of Khalid Boulahrouz on the Chelsea defence amazed just about everyone as he cloaked and frustrated the Predator all night and cemented the back right corner.

The lone goal of the match did come from 6’5” Cote d’Ivoire superstar and Train poster-boy material Didier Yves Drogba Tébily, who was born amazingly a week before me under what I’m guessing were very different circumstances. I will not take anything away from the talent that Drogba possesses, but his knack for flopping wears a little thin and makes me think he should consider applying for Portuguese citizenship. A man at 6’5” and probably 210 lbs should not flop due to a blade of grass being a different length on the pitch or a 5'7" 165lb defender missing hist leg by two feet that's all.

Chelsea got a huge three points yesterday and we will now see what the defending Champions League winners from Spain can do at home needing a full three. Perhaps we can ask Frank Rijkaard hair? (and I believe he would say start Argentinian phenom Lionel Messi and make him attack an overwhelmed Ricardo Carvalho for 90 minutes)

This post is going a little long so I’ll summarize the last Groups B, C and D by saying that Bayern Munich has been extremely dominate and in good form along with Spanish side Valencia in Group D. Valencia has the offense to carry them past weaker sides and post a huge goal differential, but it’ll be interesting to see once they face up a formidable back four what they can produce. The Red Dragons of Liverpool are even at 7 points with French club PSV for first place in Group C setting up what could be the best game of Matchday 5 on the muddy fields of Anfield on November 22nd.

Thanks for reading, for Andy Gray I’m Clive Tyldesley please join us again next time.

(Oh and I'm a Farmer not a Hunter, just so you have a little background)

28 Comments:

Blogger Train said...

Simply Awesome...


FIFA 07 tonight... You better bring your A game

Thu Oct 19, 12:34:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When will we all gather for a "Bully" tournament?

Thu Oct 19, 12:47:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Jimbo said...

I'll bring my typical B-/C+ game as usual...much like the Predator now a days...

Thu Oct 19, 12:51:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Jimbo said...

I'd like to now open the forum to Lost talk since my Futbol post received the exact reaction I thought it would:

What's the thought on the Desmond/Hurley interaction toward the end? Did the Hatch explosion grant "X Men" type powers? or is Desmonds clarvoyency(sp?) unique?

Thu Oct 19, 01:32:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Train said...

My Friggin DVR f-d up the Chelsea game... I had to watch the highlights. Lets just say I was a little pissed last night.

Thu Oct 19, 01:56:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Train said...

Man Jimmy should have just labled this post, why I hate Chelsea.

Thu Oct 19, 02:05:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Jimbo said...

I don't hate Chelsea anymore than Evangelicals...wait...I like JT and Eiseen...I just like seeing how certain teams/players react to the pressure of 200 million dollar expectations...which boil down to anything less than a treble is failure...I will say this...The 2006/2007 version of the Blues would have a hard time beating last years version...I don't think you upgraded by getting Ballack/Sheva and ditching Eider/Duff...and I think that's what will cost you the European Cup...Barca was a few touches (I know you can say that with every game) from winning this match and they weren't playing at their best

Thu Oct 19, 02:16:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Jimbo said...

one major factor is the reigning African player of the year and Didier national teammate S. Eto'o...that's really changed the complextion of the Barca attack...

Thu Oct 19, 02:18:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Train said...

I'm not to sure where the pressue is getting to Chelsea. Max point in Champs Leauge? 2nd in EPL on goal differencial.

I'll give you that Sheva isn't working. Ballack is good but not great. Essien is amazing along with the Skipper. With Eidur there was no place to put him and I will still take Drogba/Sheva anyday of the week. Duff is easily replaced by Robben. The squad is doing just fine although Carvalho should take a seat and Bridge needs to start with Cole, The Cannible and JT.

Plus lets be honest your a Devil all the way.

Thu Oct 19, 02:26:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Goose said...

Sorry Jimbo. loved the effort and the writing, I just didnt have any commentary.


dont you hate it when you make a Mega post and it doesnt hit the Hat Trick like you would hope? Its kind of a letdown.

Then some little "Effortless" post hits the mega load and scores 40-50 comments.

Its sad

Thu Oct 19, 02:30:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Train said...

Barca is just in a big funk.. Messi needs to assert himself.

Where is the 2.0 ? I thought he was jonesin' for some UEFA talk?

Thu Oct 19, 02:31:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am totatlly jonesin for the Futbol speak... but I'm also suuuper busy at work trying to get things wrapped up before flying to Hawai'i tomorrow for a weeklong vacation.

The passion of the Champions league is amazing. Jose Mourinho really showed his strength as a manager with all of the injuries Chelsea has to endure... of course, they always have the European Steinbrenner to buy enough high-priced subs to fill-in admirably. That being said, the Blues looked stout on defense and had enough Drogba to edge Barca yesterday. Great match.

Jimbo, you mentioned that you are a Farmer... but did you see the bidding war starting for the Dutch young gun, Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, nicknamed 'The Hunter'?

Thu Oct 19, 02:48:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Jimbo, I also disagree about the Ballack/Sheva upgrade. Ballack controlled the ball wonderfully yesterday from the center of the field... Chevtchenko still hasn't brought his A game yet, I agree... but he's been drawing enough attention from the defense that Drogba has room to create havok on the line.

Thu Oct 19, 02:52:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Train said...

Wow, Joe I take back all the things I've said about you...

Thu Oct 19, 03:00:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Jimbo said...

Well...that's the really the the debate...is Drogba successful because of Sheva or because he's hitting a Ruud time streak of 50% everytime he gets in the box? Tough to say...Smyth was pining for Kalou to step in and start, not sure that the solution...

and look, the point I'm trying to make is this...several years back the makeup of the Devil's squad was built more like a Roto team than an actual team...and that might be good enough to win domestically...but I think if anything has been proven its that Champions League is a trophy that is hoisted only by the Club that plays to their absolute potential...and I would say the Blues have the highest ceiling out of any club in the world...but they're playing at about 70-75% right now...and I just don't think that will get the job done...

meanwhile I see glimpses from the boys from Manchester, but they need a healthy Giggsy to tie the team together in order to have any success either in Europe or Domestically...I'm just going to be critical of a team that has no room for error based on their spending habits...

Thu Oct 19, 03:10:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Jimbo said...

yes I realize the irony out of calling out another team for spending habits being a fan of a team that spent 18million on M. Carrick...

Thu Oct 19, 03:12:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

ManU did the right thing in keeping C.Ronaldo after his WC sins... but Rooney needs to step it up. The weapons are there for your boys, but there's a whole lotta but's associated with their squad and I think Chelsea has actually gelled better than ManU at this point.

Thu Oct 19, 03:18:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Train, what do you think about the Chevy/Droggy debate? As a Blues supporter, should they bench Chevtchenko for Kalou?

Thu Oct 19, 03:24:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Train said...

I do think that Kalou needs to get more time. He has shown flashes of briliance. If I am Jose I have a short leash on Sheva, if by mid Nov. he doesn't have some in the books you gotta think about a change, no better yet make a change. Run a 4-3-3 with Drogba, Robben and Phillips up top, mix in Kalou and make it work. The are not short on talent. Plus come January Chelsea will pick up whatever they need.

Yes, I think we can all through out money when it comes to futbol. All the top teams have it so when you say hey you paid 35 million for that guy anyone can say well you paid 50 million for that guy. It's Steinbrener's wet dream.

I dont want to say he is a bust - we are far off from that.

The Chelsea back 4 have been there best 1/3rd on the pitch with Essien playing unbelievable this season.

Thu Oct 19, 03:41:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Jimbo said...

I agree with you 2.0, the Devils haven't been top-notch yet...which is why I'm optimistic...they're been far more injured than the Blues this season, the only time they've fielded a full team was their first match vs Fulham in August...I'm not worried about Rooney, because unlike a lot of other Forwards, he knows how to get others involved (Saha,etc...) even if he's not hitting the back o' the onion bag...

like I stated before the key to their season is going to be the health of Giggs, Nemanja Vidić and Gabriel Heinze...I agree that Sir Alex is smarter than the fans of England in not biting on the .50 to the Euro that Real offered for C. Ronaldo, who has taken the leap into the top 30 of the world and he's only 21...oh how a couple of good performances changes the fans opinions...

but I don't want to turn this into Devils talk (I do actually, 2.0 is just jealous we only have one Dutchman, the same as the Blues last time I checked)...

There's 30 million reasons why Sheva will continue in the starting lineup come November, especially if they keep their domestic and European form...I just think it's going to effect the team come Round 2

Thu Oct 19, 03:59:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Jimbo said...

sorry jealous wasn't the right term...pissed is what I was thinking...oh...and I also wanted to call out Darren Fletcher for making the jump this year and turning into a quality fill-in player for all MF postitions, his development has also helped the surprising play of Scotland, in EURO 2008 qualifying...

Thu Oct 19, 04:02:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Robben is weak sause. Way overrated in my opinion. He just looks lost out there... there's no way he's an upgrade to start over the Chevy.

Thu Oct 19, 04:10:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Jimbo said...

I don't think he's an upgrade over Duff personally...I wouldn't be surprised to see him moved come January...especially if J. Cole gets back to form...put him back in the Dike-Lands playing for Feyenoord...

Thu Oct 19, 04:12:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Train said...

Robben is not overrated. Seriously Joe do you watch the EPL?

I think even Jimmy gives Robben a nod. The man has pace and moves. His crosses are great but I am bias.

Thu Oct 19, 04:22:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Of course, he looked very good in the WC... so I'd be excited to see what he could do with better PT.

Oh, and Chelsea actually have 2 Dutchmen on the Blues roster with Boulahrouz on the backline.

Thu Oct 19, 04:23:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Jimbo said...

Well I guess that's why you're a fan...that and the serious case of Yankee Syndrome...that's alright 2.0, there's help out there if you need it...

Thu Oct 19, 04:41:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Train said...

Joe.. The Chelsea Bandwagon is driven by me and sorry to break it to you but there are no more seats available. I hear that Charlton is actively seeking fans....

Thu Oct 19, 04:56:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, I'm not on the wagon... we were just discussing the Chelsea and ManU sides today. I'm more of a Liverpool FC follower than any other squad.

Thu Oct 19, 05:26:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home