Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Geek News You Can Use

Do You Think There’s A Hellmouth in Scranton?

Word has come down that two back to back episodes of the Office will have special guest directors.

The first episode will be directed by J.J. Abram’s (Lost, Alias, Mission Impossible 3). Following that will be an episode directed by Joss Whedon (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Firefly).

No word yet on the plots of these episodes, but it does look like they are set to air in the spring.

I know I’ll probably take crap for even posting this, but I think it’ll be really interesting to see such different directors tackle this type of material.

Y: The “Lost” Man

The TV show “Lost” is continuing it’s tradition of keeping comic book writers on staff, by hiring writer Brian K Vaughan onto the show.

Vaughan is most well known for his Award winning series “Y: The Last Man”, “Ex Machina” and “Runaways” as well as the critically acclaimed graphic novel “The Pride of Baghdad”.

Previous comic book writers, include:

Season 1: Paul Dini, who is currently writing Detective Comics (Batman) and was also the show runner for the “Batman Animated Series” and is the man who created the character “Harley Quinn”.

Season 2: Jeff Loeb, who’s more famous Comic Credits include: Batman: The Long Halloween (One of the books that influenced “Batman Begins”, Daredevil: Yellow, and Superman: For All Seasons (Inspiration for the show “Smallville”). Currently Loeb is a writer/producer for the show “Heroes” and is currently writing the next installment of “The Ultimates”.

I’m really excited to see what Brian K Vaughan is going to bring to the table in the world of “Lost”. I know that most of you don’t really read comics, but I’ve exposed Train to a lot of this guys work, and he can attest that this guy is one of the best writers out there. If you’re at all interested in checking out his work, I recommend you start with “Y: The Last Man” or “Ex Machina”. Neither is really in the superhero vein, and they are great stories.

Best Commercial Ever!!!!

You probably saw this if you watched either of the playoff games on Sunday, but I had to post it:

Click here for Bruce Campbell’s “Old Spice” ad!

This pretty much sums up why Bruce Campbell’s the man.

Sci Fi-ah-ah! Savior of the Universe!

After the success of “Battlestar Galactica”, the Sci-Fi network is looking at reviving another Sci-Fi series: Flash f’n Gordon! The network hasn’t even hired a show runner yet, so we don’t know anything else...

Still, if it’s half as good as Galactica, then it may be half decent.

The Comedians of Comic Books

Brian Posehn, of "Mr. Show" and "Comedians of Comedy" fame, has just been added to the list of guests at this years "Emerald City Comic-Con", which runs March 31-April 1. He's there promoting his comic "Last Christmas" as well as his newest comedy album "Nerd Rage" (The artist of the albums cover art, comic artist Michael Oeming will also be there).

Hiro vs. T-Rex pt. 1: Get that mother@#$%in' sword!

I don't know if anyone else in the Lodge watches "Heroes". If you're not than you should. Anyway...if you are, I came across this pic from a future episode...pretty sweet stuff.



5 Comments:

Blogger Jimbo said...

"If you have...you don't need it...if you don't have it...you need it...and if you've never had...people just seem to know..."

I will agree with you on the Old Spice ad...while Fox was running the Blockbuster vs. Netflix and the f'n Ironman riff truck ad...every three minutes they should've been running this one...absolutely brillant...as for the rest of the post...well...I'll leave it at that...however

I did find myself missing Lost today and wondered when it's coming back, only to find out that I have another month...however, questionable hottie Juliet will be featured...so I'm kind of stoked...I'm going to watch that commercial again...

Tue Jan 09, 03:40:00 PM PST  
Blogger Train said...

I have to agree everything I have read from Brian K Vaughn has been great.

Tue Jan 09, 04:55:00 PM PST  
Blogger theDUKE said...

Excellent information Jane. My two cents:

- Office guest directors: good.
- Flash Gordon: good
- Vaughan Runaways: good
- Vaughan on Lost: don't care
- Heroes... wtf, i thought you would recognize this show as watered down mutants. BAD BAD BAD.

Wed Jan 10, 07:50:00 AM PST  
Blogger Casey said...

What can I say, I LOVE Heroes. I think it's a fantastic show.

However, I will concede that just about everyone's powers came out of the pages of the X-men.

Wed Jan 10, 08:53:00 AM PST  
Blogger Goose said...

Having MCP show a little Flash Gordon love is like a Geek olive branch.

Thanks MCP :)

Wed Jan 10, 11:27:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home