Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Libre Indeed

In Spanish "libre" means free. Last night when I got home I found a small package on my table. Within held the freedom and glory that I have sought for many years. I attempted to find liberation like this with nunchaku training, throwing star practice, and nike air shoes. Yet none of these items could achieve the sense of freedom I desired. Last night I received a Luchador Mask! It strength and power only matched by prowess of the Lord himself. (I give great thanks to my friend for remembering me during his last Mexico trip.)



Precious Father, why have you given me this desire to wrestle and then made me such a stinky warrior?



"Lucha Libre" in the literal means free fight. Its tradition spans back many years. As for why they started using masks is simply because it was cool. In that pulling down of new identity over your own -- the addition of a new archetype can be found. In my excitement last night I could only hold the mask at first, barely even able to find courage to don the new identity that lied in the essence of its vinyl and fabric. So I sought out to know who the forefathers of the sport were and looked to the past at LuchaWiki.org

Last Christmas, the good Lord gave me the foresight in a brief study. I recommend you go out and get this from BN or from Joe: Lucha Libre: Masked Superstars of Mexican Wrestling

Lucha Libre also includes photographs of stickers, flyers, postcards, stills from Mexi-lucha-cinema, interviews with the wrestlers, essays, and much, much more! In this comprehensive 20-year study, Grobet has put together THE definitive look at Mexico's masked superstars. ¡Viva la Lucha Libre! For 20 years, photographer Lourdes Grobet has penetrated the world of one of the most popular sports and deep-seated traditions in Mexico: Lucha Libre-wrestling.

And tonight, I go into the alleys of California Ave to find my new crackhead sidekick...

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Did anybody even see the Jack Black Libre flick?

Wed Apr 18, 10:30:00 AM PDT  
Blogger theDUKE said...

curse you Joe, of course people saw the flick. Encarnacion!!!!! Encarnacion!!!~!~!~!

Wed Apr 18, 10:59:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Goose said...

Joe. Is that "Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer" as your pic?

"It's just 'Cirroc', your Honor.. and, yes, I'm ready. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I'm just a caveman. I fell on some ice and later got thawed out by some of your scientists. Your world frightens and confuses me! Sometimes the honking horns of your traffic make me want to get out of my BMW.. and run off into the hills, or wherever.. Sometimes when I get a message on my fax machine, I wonder: "Did little demons get inside and type it?" I don't know! My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts. But there is one thing I do know - when a man like my client slips and falls on a sidewalk in front of a public library, then he is entitled to no less than two million in compensatory damages, and two million in punitive damages. Thank you."

Wed Apr 18, 11:59:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Goose said...

FYI. This is post 993. I think the Poohbah should get the milestone post # 1000

Wed Apr 18, 12:41:00 PM PDT  
Blogger theDUKE said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Wed Apr 18, 12:48:00 PM PDT  
Blogger theDUKE said...

goose, your post just reminds me of a really cool trial case my buddy in law school sat in on. This was a couple weeks' ago.

Scenario: A fighter got into an incident with another fighter causing damages. Instead of filing lawsuit against the assaulter, the victim requests that they enter an offical contracted fight. The trial is an attempt to dismiss the contract.

"Your Honor, my client Ken Shamrock - a.k.a 'The Deadliest Man on Earth' - should not be allowed to fulfill his contract with the plaintiff. If you allow this contract to be fulfilled, you will be allowing Ken Shamrock to potentially kill the plaintiff."

For once, my buddy actually had a cool law school story.

Wed Apr 18, 12:50:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, Goose. It is "Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer", indeed. My #1 underrated SNL sketch of all-time. My brothers and I still always use the, "Sorry, I don't understand... I'm just a Caveman" line all of the time.

"It's just 'Cirroc', your Honor.. and, yes, I'm ready. [ approaches the jury box ] Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I'm just a caveman. I fell on some ice and was later thawed by some of your scientists. Your world frightens and confuses me! Sometimes when I fly to Europe on the Concorde, I wonder, am I inside some sort of giant bird? Am I gonna be digested? I don't know, because I'm a caveman, and that's the way I think! When I'm courtside at a Knicks game, I wonder if the ball is some sort of food they're fighting over. When I see my image on the security camera at the country club, I wonder, are they stealing my soul? I get so upset, I hop out of my Range Rover, and run across the fairway to to the clubhouse, where I get Carlos to make me one of those martinis he's so famous for, to soothe my primitive caveman brain. But whatever world you're from, I do know one thing - in the 20 years from March 22nd, 1972, when he first ordered that extra nicotine be put into his product, until February 25th, 1992, when he issued an inter-office memorandum stopping the addition of that nicotine, my client was legally insane. And, for that reason, I ask that you fine him.. not guilty. Thank you."

Wed Apr 18, 02:38:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice, found a video of one of the sketches.

Wed Apr 18, 02:40:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Jimbo said...

Nice find Joe...keep them coming...and I think we should have a group Lodge photo w/ everyone in Lucha Libre gear...I commission you Duke to make sure this happens...

Wed Apr 18, 03:16:00 PM PDT  
Blogger theDUKE said...

that isn't asking too much either. Luchador masks are about $15 online. Train, another pinata - we're going to f**k it up.

Wed Apr 18, 03:19:00 PM PDT  
Blogger theDUKE said...

and also, i now see that my Freak post yeserday was pre-emptive. Every few hours more information keeps coming out which is much more extreme than being creepy, but being very very psychotic.

Wed Apr 18, 03:51:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Jimbo said...

hook the Lodge up with a link Duke, I'm not joking about this...

I don't ask much from the collective whole of the Lodge...but, the time has come to get a team photo...and Lucho Libre has inspired me...I'm open for backdrops...but I think everyone needs to bring it "Lucha" style...

Thu Apr 19, 10:01:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Train said...

I think I am required by law to appear in this photo.

I wonder if the West Seattle YMCA has a boxing ring? We might have to do a location shoot.

I've already called my Lucha name 'El Pollo Loco'

Thu Apr 19, 10:22:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Goose said...

Can I be Nacho Bell Grande?

Thu Apr 19, 01:38:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home