Friday, December 23, 2005

Top 5 Albums of 2005

2005 was a down year for the album as an entity. But I think that reflects the health of the music industry as a whole more than the quality of music’s top albums of the year. I-Tunes and iPods have brought digital single songs to the forefront of the industry instead of focusing on upcoming release dates of records & their subsequent tours. Kids can now download their favorite song they hear on the radio without having to shell out the 10-15 bucks for a CD at their local store. Even thought there are few quality radio stations still around, but that's another post. Now, while I am a big fan of perusing an album’s tracks before purchasing, I think mp3’s have started to bring a negative influence on music. So, tonight I’ll raise a drink to the album. Hopefully the album will see a comeback soon…

… and onto my Top-5 Albums of the year 2005. Obviously, this is one man’s opinion. But I’ve decided to focus a larger percentage of my posts from here on out on Music, with weekly album reviews of records past, present & future (promotional releases from bands, clubs & promoters). Music is my passion, and hopefully it can be my niche in The Black Lodge.


#1. Common: Be

Common’s last album, Electric Circus, was a major disappointment in my mind. It swayed into electronic beats (which I love & listen to, but the production didn’t fit Common’s style or flow) and away from what makes Common the best MC in Hip-Hop. Be brings us back to Common’s strengths. The majority of the album is produced by Kanye West and the quality runs the Hip-Hop gamut, with tracks like “The Corner” describing city streets, to a smooth & steady “Go”, to the live track of “The Food” from Chapelle’s Show Season 2. It is subtle enough to be played front to back over and over again, yet powerful enough to make you sit up and listen to a lyrical genius who is far from common.


#2. My Morning Jacket: Z

My Morning Jacket hail from Kentucky. And before you label them southern rock and not give them a chance, listen to their latest album, titled Z, and you’ll hear a band that has genuine pop sensibilities and craft tunes that are more than rock anthems. Jim James, the front man of MMJ, is the main songwriter. "I had a vision of how I wanted the record to be," says James, sinking deeper into his chair. "I wanted it to be more rhythm-based, a little more futuristic-sounding, not as guitar-rocky. . . I've always loved hip-hop and soul, and I guess I'm just trying to incorporate that." Quick side note, Z was produced by John Leckie, who produced Radiohead's The Bends.


#3. Elbow: Leaders of the Free World

Better than Coldplay, similar to the Doves, and influenced by Peter Gabriel, Elbow has all the pieces in place to be a great band. With their third release, Elbow gets softer on some songs, yet not enough where you are put to sleep by the melody. The tracks are expansive, with replayability (just making up a word here) that Elbow’s amazing debut album (Asleep in the Back) brought us. Good stuff from the U.K. again… Where did all the good U.S. bands go?


#4. Sigur Rós: Takk…

Iceland’s Sigur Rós are my favorite band. I’ll admit it. I love their albums. They haunt my brain and the songs stay with me for days on end, but not in the annoying way like a one-hit wonder. Jimbo introduced me to Sigur Rós’ first disc, Ágætis Byrjun, about five years ago, and I’ll been a fan since. “Takk…” brings in heavier beats and some songs seem to build with more conviction than their past albums. The use of a drummer throughout adds to the album. It’s their most experimental album (although one could argue that the band itself is experimental) to date and probably their most catchy too, coincidently. Also, Sigur Rós was the best show I saw this year by far.


#5. Aqualung: Strange & Beautiful

I’ve had this album for almost 2 years (I got a copy of the import in the Summer of ’04, which happens to a lot of UK bands), but thanks to a U.S. release earlier this year, we can technically include it on this list. It’s a great disc. Don’t dismiss Aqualung as just another Brittish band, they are a very talented band that crafted wonderfully delicate and beautiful pop-songs that use a lot of piano and are accompanied by great vocals. The O.C. and Garden State soundtracks have each clued in to Strange & Beautiful, and you should find time to listen too. Jethro Tull would be proud that the name Aqualung was being represented well.

4 Comments:

Blogger Train said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Fri Dec 23, 10:33:00 AM PST  
Blogger Train said...

Nice to see the 2.0 looking for his niche, if I were you I would have gone with “Flair – a weekly pick of the best pieces I have on my man bag”.

Have to admit I enjoyed all the albums you have in your top 5.

We all know that the train has sort of a limited knowledge of the cool new bands and as Jimbo buts it so eloquently – Train your music sucks – I thought I would give a shot and submit mine. So, here goes nothing

1: Okkerville River – Black Sheep Boy

2: My Morning Jacket – Z

3: Gorillaz – Demon Days

4: Black Rebel Motorcycle Club – Howl

5: Sufjan Stevens – Illinois

If I omitted something well tough, it’s my IPOD and you don’t have to listen to it.

Fri Dec 23, 10:34:00 AM PST  
Blogger Jimbo said...

Train...its not that your music sucks...I mean it does...but, it fits that cool demeneor your so popular for...getting the ladies by the fire and working your best Jose Pantiagua on them..."that's right baby...you need to change your draws?"

Fri Dec 23, 01:25:00 PM PST  
Blogger The Dude said...

I heard the Morning Jacket album, it gets good reviews from the man up the street. I'm a big fan of the Aqualung. It's a good mellow album. I have gotten away from the music this past year...but it's nice to know I'm not too far behind

Sun Dec 25, 04:36:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home