Monday, January 23, 2006

The Morning After...

The Seattle Seahawks are going to the Superbowl.

I’ve had some 15 hours to let it sink in, but I still can’t comprehend what it means.

Being a Seattle fan is usually a painful experience. Every year you can usually count on one thing: Disappointment. Most of the time we just wallow in the cellar of our division with hopes and dreams of what next year could hold. The Ken Behring years, the first 17 years of the Mariners, etcetera. But we stick with our teams.

And every once in a while, our teams would have a flash of brilliance, only to let us down in the end. We sat through a 2001 Mariner season believing that a Championship was our destiny. Five years later, we’re just hoping to crawl out of last place. And when the Seahawks went into overtime against Green Bay, who didn’t jump in the air with excitement when Matt Hasselbeck exclaimed “We want the ball, we’re gonna score!”? Sadly Matt did score, just for the wrong side. But still…we stick with our teams.

No matter what our teams do, we have to endure listening to the media write us off as a fluke. Yesterday before the game, I had to listen to Jimmy Johnson talk about how weak our defense was, and how we weren’t going to stop Steve Smith. And even after the game all I hear on ESPN is excuses for why Carolina lost. Yeah, they were tired, and they were reduced to a 4th string running back, and yeah it was loud at Quest Field, but so what? They were dominated by the best team the NFC has to offer. And now today, everyone is ready to jump on the Steelers bandwagon. The number one seed in the NFC is considered an under dog to the AFC 6th seed.

The Seattle Seahawks are a team that the rest of the country doesn’t want to give respect to. And you know what? That’s fine. They’ll just jam your words down your throat. Just look at the last two games.

They bust out Mack Strong for a 32 yard run on an audible.

They throw Seneca Wallace out there as a wide receiver for a 28 yard pass.

Lofa Tatupu head-buts Nick Goings at full force and doesn’t even miss the next play.

They prove why Shaun Alexander is the League’s MVP. The guy spends so much time in the end zone I hear he’s looking at getting a condo.

This is a team that will beat you any way they can. And as much as the media doesn’t want to admit it (I’m talking about you, Skip Bayless), we were the best team. We weren’t a fluke. Soft schedules don’t matter in the playoffs

So, Seattle fan, when you go home tonight, I want you to pour yourself a shot of your drink of choice. Hold that shot up towards the heavens and realize: We are going to the biggest game there is. And not only did this team earn it…they deserve it. More importantly, we deserve it. We stuck with our teams through the worst or times. Now it’s time to celebrate the best of times.

WE ARE GOING TO THE SUPERBOWL!

9 Comments:

Blogger Jimbo said...

for the record...the "I want the ball and we're going to score" play was a result of Alex Bannister not knowing the f'n audible that was called, but that's neither here nor there...as far as the media coverage is concerned, I hate hearing how people want respect from the national media: here's the deal...

YOU'RE NEVER GOING TO GET IT, even if 60 minutes of football from now the Hawks pull off the unthinkable, it'll still be written off by some as an easy road, or whatever other hack cliche is popular at the time...the point is, yeah it feels good to hear people praise your team...it validates your own self-image, and before I get too much into the theories on the idea of self, I'll say this...I believe that it took this long for Pro-Football success for a reason...this team is special, this season has been special, The Giants game, the Cowboy game...these games are more sidenotes to a good season...these are indicators, they are signs...the Vision Quest is upon us and has for the past 5 months, now we're 60 away from claiming the unthinkable...

Mon Jan 23, 11:53:00 AM PST  
Blogger Casey said...

I know that you're right, I think maybe I'm just tired of seeing nice guys finish last.

The fact that a guy like Matt Hasselbeck doesn't get the accolades that lesser QB's get kind of irks me. Every time I turn around there's another Tom Brady circle jerk.

Matt's the starting QB for the Pro Bowl and most people don't even know his name.

The point I was really trying to get across is that I know we're not going to get recognized, and yet we just keep going from game to game, taking down one team after another...and that's really cool. The media may not want it, but we're going to the big show.

It's nice to see us give a good ol' "F**k you" to the media.

Mon Jan 23, 12:03:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jimbo said...

MCP...the only way around feeling the negative vibes from the National Media is to go read/watch credible sources that know what they're talking about, unfortunately you want see any of them on Fox & CBS...people who know football and can give a logical explanation to their predication/analysis don't bother me if they don't want to go w/ the Hawks...that's fine...we represent a mid-level market on the West Coast...we are what we are...honestly I feel better when TV Hacks (who are by far the worst) pick against me...it validates my lifestyle choice...

Besides if its not Clayton, Farnsworth or Steve Kelley I usually don't pay it much mind...and that's a bias perspective...

Mon Jan 23, 12:12:00 PM PST  
Blogger Casey said...

I'm just so happy we're going to the big game, I don't think anyone could say anything about this team that would wipe the grin off my face.

Mon Jan 23, 12:21:00 PM PST  
Blogger Goose said...

So MCP.
It goes without saying that Goose every year hosts a Super Bowl Bash.

My question is...If we invite you to this Exclusive party, will you attend?

This is the "Mother of All Super Bowl Parties V".
5 years strong.
There is the ever popular "Game Before the Game" Madden 2006
Tons of Good Food.

Plus this year we have some new surprises to kick in.

Mon Jan 23, 01:17:00 PM PST  
Blogger Goose said...

Great fan blog I found

http://12seahawksstreet.blogspot.com/

Mon Jan 23, 01:19:00 PM PST  
Blogger Casey said...

I'm not sure I'd be able to make it to a Superbowl party this year, so at this point I really can't commit to anything.

Mon Jan 23, 04:55:00 PM PST  
Blogger Unknown said...

At least you are true to form.

Tue Jan 24, 10:21:00 AM PST  
Blogger Casey said...

What can I say...this may not happen again in my lifetime. So, I want to be in the middle of my city cheering along with as many other people as possible.

I spent Sunday night in Pioneer square, after the game and it was a crazy party. How great is it going to be when we win the Superbowl?

AND THAT'S ANOTHER SEAHAWK FIRST DOWN!!!!!

Tue Jan 24, 10:30:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home