Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The Black Lodge 2006 Seattle Mariners Guide

So last week I ventured down to Safeco Field on my lunch break (I work a hop, skip & a jump away in the International District, i.e. "Chinatown") and bought 7 single-game tickets to various Seattle Mariners day games throughout the season... starting with next week's Wednesday afternoon affair against the Los Angeles Angels. I'll get to see Washburn pitch his Mariners debut against his former team. I love baseball season. Sure, it'll loose it's luster when the dog days of summer in August roll around... but for now, I'm pumped. Let's break down this year's Seattle ballclub:

PROJECTED LINEUP:
RF Ichiro
SS Yuniesky Betancourt
LF Raul Ibanez
1B Richie Sexson
3B Adrian Beltre
DH Carl Everett or Matt Lawton
C Kenji Johjima
2B Jose Lopez
CF Jeremy Reed

Rotation: Jamie Moyer, Joel Pineiro, Jarrod Washburn, Gil Meche, Felix Hernandez and Closer: Eddie Guardado


• In Ichiro's "down year", he still managed to hit for a .300 AVG, 200 hits, 30 steals and 100 runs scored for the 5th straight year since coming over from Japan. Solid. Plus, the WBC emotion was nice to see. He's the best RF in the game, electrifying to watch at bat and in the field & is Seattle's only legit superstar left (with a nod to the always quiet Ray Allen & to Shaun Alexander's large ego). I think Ichiro will hit above .340 and win his third batting title this year. You heard it here 1st. And he does it with style.

• The news on Mariners sophomore Jeremy Reed isn't nearly as bad as first feared, which is odd. How could a wrist be diagnosed as broken, then it's not? Reed might be ready for opening day. The Mariners might opt to bat him second after all.

• Get ready for another 40 HR, 120 RBI... in a .250 AVG season from Richie Sexson. He hits the longball... and not much else.

• Adrian Beltre is not likely to hit 48 home runs like he did in 2004 for the Dodgers. That is obvious, but needs to be pointed out. He was a 20-80 guy for years, and his contract run has messed up the perception of him. Beltre should hit for a higher average than last year, and I'd think he'll eclispe the 25-100 power line, probably topping 30 HR, riding his WBC hot streak.

• I love the Right-Left-Right-Left look that the lineup could pose against opponents. If Pineiro, Meche & Felix live up to their potential, the M's will be dangerous at home in the friendly confines of The Safe. On the road, they'll suck. But, oh well.

• We've already talked about the amazing potential of a Carl Everett dinosaur blow-up this season and the even better potential for unintentional comedy. Man, I can't wait.

• I predict Train will get a Jojima jersey by next Christmas.

• Yuniesky Betancourt has also impressed me during spring training, and might bat second ahead of Richie Sexson and pals if Jeremy Reed's wrist isn't fully healed by opening day. His glove has been compared to Omar Vizquel's. I'll take that with above-average defense, a .270 AVG & 25 steals out of my SS anyday.


So, there you have it. Your 2006 Seattle Mariners. All in all, I'm guessing they don't lose 93 games again and rebound back to a .500 season. I also believe they have a chance of moving out of the cellar and overtaking the Rangers. In addition, they'll also trade Eddie Guardado before the trading deadline to move Rafael Soriano into the closer role. I can't wait to walk down to the games to meet Jimbo as we fill our 16 oz. Pepsi bottles with our ass-flasks full of golden whiskey goodness to watch the M's battle. It will be glorious.

Plus, there's the most appealing youngster of all: King Felix, who was every bit as good as advertised following his promotion on Aug. 4. King Felix made 12 starts for Seattle, registering a 2.67 ERA, 0.996 WHIP, 9 quality starts & averaging better than 7 innings per outing. And that's something that I'll make my way to the ballpark to see or flip on the TV to watch every 5th day. The M's first legit #1 starter since the Big Unit roamed the astro-turf of the Kingdome.

13 Comments:

Blogger Jimbo said...

you know I'm good for a free game or two during the year...my only gripe is f'n M's fans...(this excludes the 300 level crowd)...maybe it's been the team, but Safeco turns into the largest Morgue on the W. Coast...TB being the E. Coast version...

Wed Mar 29, 05:02:00 PM PST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, the fans at The Safe don't have the highest baseball IQ's around. My favorite is the routine pop-ups that the crowd goes "Oooooh!" over every time.

And I know the Dude will join us in the flask party, even when his Pale Hose come to town and he wears the old school Sox cap. Good times.

Wed Mar 29, 05:20:00 PM PST  
Blogger The Dude said...

Darn right I'll represent the Sox when they come to town...it's the best three games of the year in this town...too bad they don't come to town more.

Like most teams, the M's look like they won't lose 90 but hey they said that last year too. I'd like to believe that the WBC got Beltre and Ichiro goin' on the right foot but time will tell... The first month can be crucial with all the interdivisional games. Back in '01, the M's came blastin' out of the blocks and took control of the AL West.

Cheers on those flasks fellas!

Thu Mar 30, 08:40:00 AM PST  
Blogger Train said...

Wouldn't you know it, I was scopin' out Johjima perifinalia as you were posting this.

Thu Mar 30, 08:50:00 AM PST  
Blogger Unknown said...

By the way... speaking of flasks. Did any of you grab my flask from the condo up at Whistler? I left it on the counter and it wasn't in my bag when I returned stateside. Anybody have it!?!

Thu Mar 30, 09:35:00 AM PST  
Blogger Jimbo said...

I might know of its whereabouts...right now...you are very cold

Thu Mar 30, 10:25:00 AM PST  
Blogger The Dude said...

That flask is with my Nalegene bottle...

Thu Mar 30, 12:37:00 PM PST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Was it left up at the condo in Whistler? Or does Jimbo have the goods?

Thu Mar 30, 12:56:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jimbo said...

2.0...you are still very cold, its wereabouts are known

Fri Mar 31, 09:05:00 AM PST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Okay, so where are they? Why do I feel like we're in 5th grade and somebody stole my trapper-keeper?

Fri Mar 31, 10:20:00 AM PST  
Blogger Train said...

Lets use some deductive reasoning Joe...

A) It is now in the hands of a nice philipino maid who cleaned out the condo.

B) It is somewhere buried in a snowdrift when it fell out of your car on the way home

C) It is safely at the Lodge waiting for you to pick it up.

D) I stole it so Jayne could pee in it and then I am to give it back to you.

Fri Mar 31, 10:32:00 AM PST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Probably C... although I'd bet TP would pee in it, that sick b@st@rd.

Fri Mar 31, 10:51:00 AM PST  
Blogger Casey said...

I really would.

Fri Mar 31, 10:54:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home