Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Bear with me for a moment...

CTown...you sir are my ambassador of Kwan...we are nothing without opposition in the Lodge...I thank you for your passion and I feel this argument has ripened and called for a Lodge version of NPR’s “This I believe”

I don't want to waste a post proclaiming my own rhetoric about how professional sports are in decline...because honestly, if you asked someone back in the early 20th century what he thought about players getting paid, the forward pass, teams in California and lights on the field...they would probably answer...the game is being ruined, I’m out….that is not the basis of my argument and hopefully the following will enlighten.

So what is the argument? Behind my wife, family and cash comes my next and second oldest love Sport…Sport is not a single entity…it is not an oblong ball being thrown around a field of 120 yards…it is not two men trading blows in a confined ring…it is not the sound of the final pin going down for a perfect 300…it is a philosophical ideal. You can’t find a single image, example or proper definition of Sport, because it exists as a theoretical, an origin point, instilled into humans by society, before we can even dispute it. Some will mistakenly refer to it as competition, but the two are separate, competition relies on the point to point impact with either another player or hypothetical player that is prevalent in individual sports. Sport encompasses the entire motivation, the aura of the game, which includes competition.

I can’t remember a single name or teacher from my fourth grade glass, but I can recite to you the entire starting lineup for the New York Mets from the 1986 World Series. Is this because I love baseball? Partially, but more important than loving the specific game that was being played is that this is the very first moment that I remember Sport moving from my sub-conscious to my conscious. I recognized the aura of what was happening, what was at stake, the intangible elements that I hadn’t even known existed prior to that moment. There had been moments before that, my first viewing of Monday Night Football and the awesome look and sound of Texas Stadium, the community buzz from a town of 10,000 people on an island in Alaska about Super bowl XX and the feel of learning to grip a baseball bat, but that exact point in the 1986 World Series during Game 6 was only equivalent to one’s first sexual experience or dropping acid.

As time continued and I elevate my understanding of specific entities or games of Sport, like the proper way for a guard to pull in the counter or the backdoor screen, I increased my aptitude for deciphering good versus bad in the theoretical ideal of Sport. Some would argue that my favoritism for all things Cowboys and Daryl Strawberry tainted my overall perception of good versus evil, but that’s an argument for another day. The point is, that as a child grows from adolescence to adulthood, perception changes and realities about life come into focus in ways that you’ve never thought of before, the same is true for the element of Sport.

I know I’m getting to Operation: Lost Season, and thanks for sticking with me so far. I wanted to give you insight into my perspective on the ultimately ridiculous games we as a society play that alter our emotion and hope, and anyone that’s every played whiffle ball with me can attest to that fact. I’ve defined Sport for the purpose of trying to explain my ridiculous notion of Operation: Lost Season. CTown I apologize, but thanks for taking the bait. It was not my intention to honestly have a ‘silent absence’ from the NFL. The TO’s, referee’s and Rothlesberger’s of the world aren’t strong enough to take away my passion for Sport wherever I decide to focus it. I will more than likely end up viewing the entire season of Seahawk football and will find myself enjoying the majority of it, even though I will wonder if a 10-1 Husky Team can bring back any of the 25% of Football fans in this town that create waiting lists for Season Tickets. I guess we’ll have to wait and see on that one.

I’m going to continue to talk about futbol on the Lodge, not because I think it’s better than another game or that I think I’m better for watching and following it and please don’t think that I’m calling anyone here out on the bandwagon (huhemmm Joe), but because of the feeling that I get at the very thought of the game. It’s a feeling that I don’t know that I’ve felt as strongly about since watching a graining 19” TV listening to Vin Scully utter the immortal words, “If a picture is worth a thousand words, you’ve just seen about a million.” The ideal and power of Sport is not exclusive to geo-political or sociological lines, it is ultimately the single most unifying element that human beings have ever tapped into, and I choose re-focus my Sport on words like boots, pitch and pace and see how it fits.

Thanks
(climbs down off soap box and heads into pub for a pint of bitter)

28 Comments:

Blogger Jimbo said...

I somehow feel like Jerry Maguire after turning in my mission statement...I'm getting ready for 2.0 to call me for a 'lunch meeting' at Bepo's

Tue Aug 08, 12:26:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

I take offense to the bandwagon comment... especially since I believe I'm the first one in the Lodge to actually play soccer when I was 6 years old and through high school. Do you even remember the World Cup in '90 and '94, Jimbo? Ya, that's what I thought. I do... I watched the matches. In fact, lets take this out on the pitch and settle in without shin-guards.

That being said, I love the post just for the fact that Strawberry tainted the Edwards household & that you now are a die-hard futbol fanatic. The title of the post should read... "Jimbo's Sport History".

Aw shit... the crowded restaurant... so there's no scene...

Tue Aug 08, 12:39:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Jimbo said...

I know you feel privaliged, what w/ your Dutch heritage and early knowledge of the forearm bash 2.0...but the fact that you "played" soccer at 6 does not separate you from me, in fact we share the same time frame of actual playing, save the last two years of HS, where I suffered from a bad case of the Ricky Williams when it came to anyting resembling organized athletics....

You're correct...I didn't "follow" the '90 or '94 World Cup...and I doubt you did either, but for the sake of argument...yes, 2.0 you are the most loyal die-hard fan I've ever met of any sport...I'm not sure what came over me...

and you can call the piece whatever you want, the point I wanted to make, which I obviously did a poor job of was that we only limit our reality (sport in this instance) by the inability to perceive a larger realm...and yes, you can have some of what I'm smokin'

Tue Aug 08, 12:55:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Train said...

If we are comparing boot sizes here. I think I got you all beat. I played club soccer and school soccer until I graduated from college... Beat that. I went to tourney's in Cali, Colorado, Montana....

So as resident soccer pooba, I say to Joe no one is trying to one up each other or make people cry(bandwagon) but just to let everyone know that soccer is here to stay in the lodge for better or for worse. Not because we feel like joining the EU or because the round ball is better. It's just something we want to talk about much like Duke rambles about everthing with a sweet beat and some samba funk or how MCP talks all day about Sci-Fi. The Lodge is capable of handling all of this a little soccer isn't going to bring it to a grinding halt. Comment on a post if you want or call it shite but none the less it's going to happen. NFL and EPL togther forever.

See you guys on the field and on the pitch...

Tue Aug 08, 01:05:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Jimbo said...

love me some Samba funk and Sci-Fi...Samba-Fi...like Semper-Fi, but more with more robots and better beats...

Tue Aug 08, 01:15:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Casey said...

Jimbo, people will come Jimbo. They'll come to Blogspot for reasons they can't even fathom. They'll pull up the black lodge not knowing for sure why they're doing it. They'll pull up the most recent post as innocent as children, longing for the past. Of course, we won't mind if you read about Football, soccer, sci-fi or whatever the hell the Duke is on about today, you'll say. Train will ask, "Can you lend me a couple bucks?". They'll pass over the money without even thinking about it: for it is money they have and peace they lack. And they'll wade through Chewbacca Thursdays; sitting at their cubicle on a perfect afternoon. And they'll read the blog and it'll be as if they dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories of how much they too can't stand all the world cup talk will be so thick they'll have to brush them away from their faces. People will come Jimbo. The one constant through all the years, Jimbo, has been mindless blogging about crap. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But arguing about if Football or soccer is better has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Jimbo. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Jimbo. People will most definitely come....
...and they will all think that Joe is an Ass, Flash Gordon sucks, and Firefly is epic.

...okay, so maybe I'm just dreaming.

Tue Aug 08, 01:20:00 PM PDT  
Blogger theDUKE said...

i see where you're coming from jimbo. i was just watching a documentary called The Freshest Kids last night and it brought about a recurring thought I've had about society and world culture in general. What elements does it take to provide communication, understanding, and interaction among peoples in a way that is conducive to life? Well, after seeing athleticism, the spread of music, and global understanding without words through dance it is very clear that athletics, as well as music, are the only true tools that do not create dividing lines and provide a universal human depth that we can all tap into.

Tue Aug 08, 01:21:00 PM PDT  
Blogger theDUKE said...

and granted some of you may not see B-boying in the aspect of "sports" there is a clear global interaction and high physical tension of skill that occurs because of the unlocked competition that exists in the raw of it all. This tapping of the raw, the innate, the distinct humanity is the point which is communicated through Sport andn in my feeling, also music.

Tue Aug 08, 01:25:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Jimbo said...

nicely done MCP...and Duke...all we have is communication...I'm all for teaching the Middle East the beautiful game so they can battle it out on the pitch for 90 instead of on the streets of Beruit...it worked for Spain and the rebuilding of Europe in 1950...why not now...we'll also show them the ways of Brasillian Samba...

Tue Aug 08, 01:30:00 PM PDT  
Blogger theDUKE said...

and for those wankers who missed out on my semi-regular Brazil shoutout please see: City of Funk: funk from the city of god. (it was a kik ass show Joe, have you ever heard a rock version of Summer Lovin' with a hard punk guitar overlapping booty beats?!?! all while being sung in Portuguese, ear orgasm)

Tue Aug 08, 01:35:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

I just felt called out as a "bandwagon" jumper... that's all. MCP has his passion back, it looks like. Now if he could just get off his ass and write his long-awaited ComiCon post or highlight of the Seahawks Training Camp weekend.

Tue Aug 08, 01:51:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Train said...

Joe, you will always been known as the Bandwagon and you have Ray Lewis to thank for that....

Yah, MCP how was the Cheney scrimage?

Tue Aug 08, 01:58:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Casey said...

Yeah...so things beyond my control meant Cheney didn't happen this weekend.

Yup...I suck.

Tue Aug 08, 02:05:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Jimbo said...

well MCP...at least it wasn't your wife or kids that prevented you from going

Tue Aug 08, 02:07:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Casey said...

Very true.

Actually, the guy I was going with (who was also driving) got really sick the night before and ended up spending the day praying to the porcelein god.

Tue Aug 08, 02:10:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Casey said...

And I know that's not an excuse...

...I suck.

Tue Aug 08, 02:17:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Train said...

I guess that kinda nips the "Single life is better" talk right in the bud.

Tue Aug 08, 02:38:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Casey said...

Oh no...single life is still better. But that doesn't mean that life in general doesn't sometimes get in the way.

Train...I'm two tai-bo tapes away from kicking your @$$!

Tue Aug 08, 02:45:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Train said...

you sound like an episode of My So called life...

Tue Aug 08, 02:48:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Casey said...

I've got 2 words for you:

Jordan Catalano

Tue Aug 08, 02:49:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Goose said...

Joe. I started playing soccer in 1978.

I think that trumps your sorry Ass

Tue Aug 08, 02:56:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Train said...

Goose was a huge Cosmos fan...

Tue Aug 08, 02:57:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Casey said...

I love it when people pull out the "I'm more hardcore than you" by pointing out the fact that they're old.

Tue Aug 08, 03:01:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Goose said...

Jimbo. As always I will respect you for your passion and ability to be true to your beliefs.

That being said....

Whether it was meant or not. I feel the need to defend the other sports, because it seems that you are putting soccer on a pedestal of purity.
That it has not been touched by the almighty dollar or the price of Fame (LONG LIVE ADRIAN ZMED)


With all due respect.... (Dont forget Ricky Bobby taught us that when you say "With all due respect" that anything said afterwards is excuseable) this is what makes Soccer fans seem like Soccer elitists to the Non Soccer fans.

I know this debate is as old as the Flash gordon/Firefly debates. But from an outsider who tried to become a soccer fan, It still sounds of Soccer Snobbery.

With all due respect.....

I still got nothing but respect and love for you though my brother.

Im just letting you know how it sounds...

Tue Aug 08, 03:08:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Goose said...

I love it when people pull out the "I'm more hardcore than you" by pointing out the fact that they're sad and have no girlfriend and spend most of their evening pleasuring themselves to digital pictures they took of women they saw at Sci Fi conventions (but had no courage to talk to) and wishing they had more of a life.

Tue Aug 08, 03:11:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Casey said...

Yeah...I love that too.

Tue Aug 08, 03:39:00 PM PDT  
Blogger seatownshawn said...

Dammit...force a guy to make a post and then get dragged out of the office for the entire day only to come back and see a frickin' Lodge style shit-talkin' fest. I apologize for the late arrival on this gentlemen.

Great post Jimbo....and now I'll resist the urge to respond with another post of my own entitled "Culture As Defined By Sports"....and just post a short(er) comment.

It's interesting to note as well that sports have always been as much an exercise in culture as they are for the physical and mental being. While I would think that we could agree that the U.S. probably has a larger pool of talented athletes than it knows what to do with.....why do they all jump out of the way when national pride is at stake? How childish is that idea?

What does it say about the men and women of 'sport' in America that you can basically make the observation that Americans seemingly can't stand anything that they can't dominate? Ice Hockey is all good as long as it's the NHL and the few Canadian teams get beat by the majority of the teams in the US. When it comes to hockey on a national level it's no fun, since there's a very real possibility that the US might - God forbid - lose. With Soccer, they know that they can't compete toe-to-toe with the real world powers, so most Americans opt not to care. Who gives a rip about an up and coming anything when all everyone is about is instant gratification?

Everyone will always have opinions about specific sports.....which, it could be argued, is basically a form of supervised violence....and not just boxing....every sport. But, the IDEA of SPORT is what cannot be forgotten.....and I don't think that it will.....as long as there are people around that still care.

Tue Aug 08, 04:28:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Jimbo said...

thanks everyone for participating in the conversation today...Goose, I still don't think you got the point of the post, but that's ok...you're still the most knowledgable guy I know about the oblong game....

CTown...thanks for the comment...and I'm glad you realize that this is deeper than soccer vs. football...now...let's get prepped for big time Club Exhibition Soccer tomorrow!

Tue Aug 08, 05:01:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home