Friday, February 16, 2007

An Outbreak, Juiced Up Cars & A Westseatown President's Day Bowling Celebration

Finally! I thought that I would get back to the regular schedule after a few months of getting pummeled by school and a new job....it's The Lodge for chrissakes! Let's get those priorities straight! Seriously though, Mr. & Mrs. Seatown have just spent the better part of the last 2 weeks fighting off a Northeast Seattle outbreak of the Motaba virus. Not to worry though...we were able to get our hands on some E-1101, so the outbreak has been contained.

I think that Tim Hardaway has gotten enough attention in the last 24 hours....so I'm just gonna let him fade away into the abyss of former celebrity types that don't know when to shut the hell up.....right after I make one comment because of something I heard on my way home from school last night. Last night, ESPN radio took a call from a guy that asked "why are people letting Tim Hardaway off the hook on this now that he has apologized? ....I mean, Michael Richards has been condemned by everyone for his comments on African-Americans....since when does race hit a bigger nerve than sexual preference?" Ummm, wow. First of all....no....people aren't letting the guy off the hook. (And how could you after such a quarter-hearted apology) It's only been 48 hours and the frickin' Wikipedia page on Tim Hardaway has been updated with the "homophobia controversy" taking up half the space! Godbless the internets. Do I need to go into why race hits a bigger nerve since, well.....forever?

Now on to the biggest issue that everyone is just blowing off like it's nothing......what the hell is up with steroids in NASCAR? The hallowed ground of Daytona has been scarred! Is no sport sacred? What could be next? Roger Federer is a robot? ...and Tiger Woods is in love with him?? (Tim Hardaway's head explodes). Seriously though, does this really surprise anyone? Shutup about it already. It's called competitive advantage...and these are rednecks, need I say more? Did any of you hear Jeff Gordon's reaction when he found out that his car had failed it's inspection after he won the 150 lap qualifier? He was like "Seriously? ...man, that sucks! ....I'm really angry about that!" Now that is the kind of guy that everyone could use for a dad. "Hey dad....I got busted at school for smoking pot....and my grades are really crappy....so I've decided to just quit school and drive cars for a living" "Seriously? ...man, that sucks! ....I'm really angry about that!"
Now here's a big difference between being an amateur driver and a professional.....because I've been using "the cream" and "the clear" on my ride for a looooong time now, and believe me...it really pays some huge dividends....it really gets right in and takes the dirt right off. But, I have really been looking for something to give me that extra get-up-and-go y'know? Leave it to a redneck to figure out that dumping moonshine into the gas tank has been the missing ingredient all this time. What are we going to do about the NASCAR record books? How do we know that everyone wasn't juicing up their rides? Petty? Earnhardt? Allison? ...and to think, I used to believe you were the greatest.
Now the important stuff...Monday is the official observation of President's Day, and schools are closed (at least mine is). In order to properly celebrate the nation's first landscape architect, lawn bowler and home brewer....there will be a President's Day Beer & Bowling-a-thon on Monday evening. WS Bowl, 8:30 pm. We can discuss the upcoming Lebowski-fest, the newest presidential candidates and of course the demise of the Mariners' season before it begins.

15 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Welcome back, Kotter.

The cheating in NASCAR thing seems like a big PR ploy to me. I mean, the friggin NASCAR president was on ESPN the same day the fines/suspensions were dealt out. Ya, he just happened to have some time. Riiiight. No, I'm still not watching.

Bowling Monday sounds great... but we started Dog Training for the little guy last week Monday. So I'm out... this Saturday Night I'm totally free for drinking, bowling, gambling, poker, whatever... any of ya'll just give me a call.

Fri Feb 16, 11:09:00 AM PST  
Blogger Jimbo said...

now you're speaking my language...sorry to hear about the Biological Terrorism, but that's life in the modern-era...

Hardaway-I think this whole thing has been hilarious to see the sheltered existence of the modern professional athlete...when Lebron "Sweet Baby" James states that he's never been around a gay person in his life...really?...amazing...and I want to make sure that I'm not pinning this all on the NBA, because it's the same deal with any league, any size from JV ball to the Yankees...regardless of your view on the subject...I think it's a good window into the continuing divide between the top 5% and the rest of us...

and when the hell did Daytona become part of the ESPN hype machine?...I'm still not convinced this is technically a "sport"...in as much as Madden Nation is comprised of "athletes"...really?...someone cheated to try win more money?...well, I've seen a lot of things, but cheaters never get ahead...unless you're proficient at hitting a baseball...

Final rant on NASCAR...I don't mind if people like watching cars taking four left turns for a couple of hours...but let's keep this to a local regional Southern setting and stop the continued pollution of race tracks across the nation...if NASCAR was meant to have a racetrack in Bremerton than god would've built moonshine distilleries and made put all the bridges out of order and issued a '71 Charger to every Pennisula Resident...Rebel Yell!!!

Fri Feb 16, 11:15:00 AM PST  
Blogger seatownshawn said...

I'm starting to believe that all controversy in sports is directed behind the scenes by a PR/marketing guy.....the headlines are just BS.....but they all generate the "buzz".

"Kobayashi Has A Tapeworm"

"Roy Munson Using Laser Eye For Precision"

"Peter North Castrated"

....when does it end....really?

Fri Feb 16, 11:30:00 AM PST  
Blogger Jimbo said...

...it never ends...it never ends...

Fri Feb 16, 11:39:00 AM PST  
Blogger Jimbo said...

so anyone got a final score for the All-Star Game? Dunk Winner? Two-Ball player with the most facial hair? Is Craig Hodges still able to compete in the Three Point Contest? Final Stat line for BRoy in the Rookies vs. Sophmore game?

Fri Feb 16, 01:04:00 PM PST  
Blogger seatownshawn said...

Final Score = West 127 - East 121

MVP = Dirk Diggler "Two-Ball" Nowitzki

What is Two-Ball? I think that's too personal....

Craig Hodges is out, but Agent Zero Arenas will take the 3 point crown this year.

BRoy = 23 pts, 8 reb, 4 ast, 3 st, 1 bs, 2 to.

I would love to see the surprise showdown of John Amaechi vs. Tim Hardaway....one-on-one.

Fri Feb 16, 01:31:00 PM PST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Final Score: West 123-117

MVP: Melo. Anthony will be out to shove in due to backlash because of the Knicks fight. Try to earn his street cred back.

Dunk: Gerald Green. The kid has seriously athletic skills. And he says he's been practicing. Anytime a player says that, watch out! Plus, Nate can't defend it b/c he shouldn't have won last year. And Howard and Thomas are big men, and big men never win it.

Skills: Kobe. See Melo MVP comment above about street cred.

3-Pt: Gilbert Arenas. Agent Zero is crazy... and out to prove it. This year is the year of the thug. Arenas fits the bill.

B.Roy: 28 PTS, 7 REB, 8 AST, 2 STL

Fri Feb 16, 01:48:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jimbo said...

wow...I hope that Roy fills up the stat sheet like that...and I know 00 is crazy, but he doesn't seem like a pure shooter...oh and did you see a week or so ago where he vowed to post a half-century on P-town and ended up with 9 points and lost the game?...I love stories like that...

and 2.0, do they even have the f'n two-ball thing with the WNBA anymore?...that was almost as lame as Cop Rock...

Fri Feb 16, 02:25:00 PM PST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well, Roy is putting up 16 against the best NBA SG/SF's every night... and he'll be playing against lesser competition with no defense whatsoever in the Soph/Rook game. So I figured he'd almost double his stats.

Ya, Arenas didn't bring it that night. But the guy has really elevated his game this season and has put up silly good numbers night in and night out.

And I'm not sure about the 2-Ball. I don't care either way... since I'm in denial the WNBA even exists.

Fri Feb 16, 04:29:00 PM PST  
Blogger Train said...

When can we start the NASCAR talk?

4 WIDE!!!

Mon Feb 19, 08:49:00 AM PST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Go ahead. I'm not sure anyone will chip in, but you might be surprised? Did you watch Daytona?

Mon Feb 19, 09:42:00 AM PST  
Blogger Train said...

Not one lap.... But I just wanted to say 4 WIDE !! cause that is all NASCAR announcers say...

Mon Feb 19, 10:17:00 AM PST  
Blogger Jimbo said...

I thought it was next week...oh well...maybe next year huh?...

Mon Feb 19, 11:07:00 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are the Mrs.' attending or is it boys only?

Mon Feb 19, 11:25:00 AM PST  
Blogger seatownshawn said...

My Mrs. won't be there.....but that shouldn't make any difference.

All are welcome in my opinion....

Mon Feb 19, 12:58:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home