Monday, April 30, 2007

Day Two: Please Fasten Your Seatbelts

"The Shit piles up so fast in Vietnam you need wings to stay on top of it…”

Day Two can only be summarized by replacing Vietnam with inner-urban Mumbai and wings replaced with golf shoes. My delirium is beginning to break and I’m taking this full on Gonzo style complete with Jack (I know, the mini bar didn’t have Wild Turkey) neat, because I don’t trust the ice around here.

0940AM UTC// 30.04.07

I’m awake, seems like I’m always awake now in between moments of blacking out. Happened to get to sleep for more than 100 minutes straight last night thanks to a tape delay broadcast of the Yanks/Sox duel from Saturday or had Joe Buck not cleared customs until just then? Anyway, never made it through the game, but my faith lies solely in the Sox to pull it out, perhaps its waiting for me on the tele right on?

After thoroughly enjoying a combination listed below in recommendations, my morning was spent wondering if teleportation is ever legalized, will people choose hotels just so they can claim that they’ve been somewhere? I was beginning to think that my life was going to exist purely in the realms of airplanes and hotel rooms until….

1626 PM UTC// 30.04.07

After putting the room service cooks through my introductory test of a tasty club sandwich and chicken-almond cream soup, I’ve decided that I may need to up the bar for breakfast tomorrow. The meal was perfect and ended with a quality 110 minutes of rest, which came to an abrupt end with the call from the lobby telling me my Indian-Grandfather was ready to advance this journey to the next level.

1701 PM UTC// 30.04.07

I can’t recommend the showers at Le Royal Meridian enough…good velocity, good heat, ability to change speeds, but could go cold at any time…from now on we’ll just refer to this moment of my day as “The Felix”. I gather my belongings and head downstairs to meat my Indian-Grandfather as we begin one of the most monumental car rides in my life, only to be topped by this mornings car ride.

A little background about Indian driving, and I’m assuming this is common throughout most parts of the world not located in Canada and the US.

*Horns-to be used at all times, but never in anger. Horns are the universal verbal signal that informs the motorbike, scooter, ox-drawn carriage or fruit truck that you are behind and would like to pass or please start accelerating. Horns are to be used approximately 10,000 times during an average 45 minute commute.

*Lanes are informative suggestions about separation of cars on major and minor roads. These suggestions are strongly discouraged and dangerous.

*People are to walk with caution because they do not posses “right of way” status.

*Do not be alarmed when you are backed up behind a fruit truck that is having a hard time getting around two oxen-drawn carriages, this is normal and should be encouraged.

…and after all of that, it was by far the most interesting 45 car ride I’ve ever had that didn’t involve ____ on the road. I thought it was the most interesting car ride until I was set to go home, but since I don’t have any photos (and I will tomorrow, I promise,) I’m holding that conversation for a later post.

The work day was long and since I still do not posses Rupees to bargain with I was unable to put the feed bag on during my first shift, which made the 12 hours go by rather quickly in fact. So the first day of work is done and as I watch the smog-ridden sky glow with that big red ball, I’m reminded that the world is in fact a lot larger than I imagined.

More tomorrow and the Z-survival percentage of Bombay.

Recommendations:

Premiership:

*ManUtd/Everton-I know that no one will catch this, but caught the game on one of the two sports stations I get here on “ESPN” with Martin Tyler and Andy Gray. The coverage was excellent and it made me want to find an old skool Satellite Dish to take up my entire backyard so I never have to go back to FSC.

Learning:

*Discovery Channel’s Search for the Lost World-a group of scientist head out to study the findings and mythology of Arthur Doyle’s “Lost World”, I think Train is the only one that really cares about either one of these.

That’s it for today…thanks for reading

Labels: , , ,

26 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The photos are phenomenal. I love you.

Mon Apr 30, 08:54:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Goose said...

I think they (the photos) are great as well, and while I may not have the same love that "Anonymous" has for you...well dammit I love you to Poohbah....Even being a Cowboy fan. And If a Redskin Fan can love a Cowboy Fan and yous can change...EVERYONE CAN CHANGE!!!!

Mon Apr 30, 09:45:00 PM PDT  
Blogger The Dude said...

You are missed my friend! This place isn't the same. I spent some time in the Lodge today and it was definately missing something. It was the Poobah himself...

Mon Apr 30, 10:08:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Jimbo said...

don't touch my shit you scouse'...I memorized the exact layout of the room so I'll know if anything is out of place...j/k

I'm glad someone gets to enjoy it, my new Lodge comes with room service and 75 channels of Indian Dance Channels...

Tue May 01, 06:57:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Train said...

The Lodge is getting a little dusty... with Poobah love. hell I miss you buddy and you will be missed on Wednesday for the game. I hope you get a chance to watch it live.

Anyone notice that picture of the Ford car? was it called a clair?

Tue May 01, 07:20:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

I hear you on the world horn phenomenon... and can vouch that that goes pretty much anywhere where "foreign" language is spoken. Wait until you see Napels or Nice. Crazy drivers in those cities.

The Everton/Manchester United match was great... check out my blurb on it yesterday.

As far as Discovery Channel, I haven't seen those 2 programs, but have you caught "Planet Earth" yet? Great series. Amazing cinematography... although having Ridley be the voice is an odd choice. I'd go with it if it were called "Planet Mars"... but Earth it kind of creeps me out. Was Morgan Freeman busy?

Tue May 01, 08:56:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Train said...

'Planet Earth' was great. I loved all but 'Caves'.. Bugs just creep me out.

Tue May 01, 09:22:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Jimbo said...

oh I've been digging planet earth, and I'm with you on Ripley?...I need a dominate baritone similar to NFL Films for my documenataries...

and was the ManU/Everton match on the tele?...

and any car that has a name here is a step above the rest...even if it is "Clair"....

Tue May 01, 09:28:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Train said...

No ManU/Everton on the tele. We did get Charlton/Blackburn!!

Tue May 01, 09:44:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Train said...

The new Wembley stadium is shown as a dilapidated wreck with knee-high grass on the pitch in new film 28 Weeks Later, which is released a week before the FA Cup final on 19 May - Nice!

Tue May 01, 09:51:00 AM PDT  
Blogger theDUKE said...

ROLL-AIDS, TUMS, PEPTO, IMODIUM!!! Be prepared, Z-infection can be stopped with these supplements!

Tue May 01, 09:52:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

ManU/Everton was on the Premiership Weekly Rundown show -- so I saw the edited match.

Tue May 01, 11:33:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Train said...

Thanks for explaining yourself Joe..

Tue May 01, 11:42:00 AM PDT  
Blogger theDUKE said...

Train: How was world war z for you? (joys/comments/wows)

Tue May 01, 12:12:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Train said...

I loved it. I read the book in about 2 days. I couln't put it down. It's opened a whole new world to me.

Tue May 01, 12:24:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Train said...

it was more than just horror. I love the poli sci stuff and the human survival stuff.

I really dug the part where he spoke to the naval officer who was sweeping the ocean floor for Z's. No one has ever really talked about that. It was great.

Tue May 01, 12:44:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Jimbo said...

although it's only upped his Z survival percentage by 5%...

Tue May 01, 12:46:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Train said...

Your's went down about 25% with your trip...

PS - Any one have some antacid?

Tue May 01, 12:57:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Train said...

I honestly can't wait for the Mhumbi Z survival guide....

Tue May 01, 01:03:00 PM PDT  
Blogger theDUKE said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Tue May 01, 01:12:00 PM PDT  
Blogger theDUKE said...

Let's play infected. Infect the city before they napalm you. left/right to run, spacebar to infect. 28 weeks later game

Tue May 01, 01:16:00 PM PDT  
Blogger theDUKE said...

Game unlocksa bonus video thats nuts

Tue May 01, 01:22:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

That was nice. Got me all pumped to see the film. Who has a copy of WWZ they can let me borrow before the movie's out?

Tue May 01, 01:48:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Jimbo said...

I just got really pissed at my laptop for not allowing my rage to progress to the Countryside Barn...

Tue May 01, 01:56:00 PM PDT  
Blogger theDUKE said...

i can deliver, you doing group tonite?

Tue May 01, 02:03:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm not leading tonight... but I'm showing up for some Bean Game. Bring it.

Tue May 01, 03:12:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home