Thursday, April 19, 2007

Goose at the Rock, and Tales from the 415

So last weekend I had the opportunity to visit the City by the Bay, San Fracisco. Having never been there before, I really only knew Gay Rights, The 49ers, Barry Bonds and Hippies. I have to say I was pretty amazed at the city.

Side Note Discovered the wonderfull dish called Cioppino. We ate at a place that served the best. So good that Carlos Santana Goes there to eat when he is in town.



I took the Gander with me and we did all the touristy things while we were there. We saw Haight Asbury, ChinaTown, Golden Gate Park (And the Bridge) and stayed down at Fishermans Wharf. I realized that this would make a pretty good place even for a Lodge Roadtrip. (Like those ever happen). We cruised by Monster and 3Com Park. Saw McCovey Cove. Good times.

But Goose had one goal. There was only one thing that I wanted to see. I needed to see "The Rock". Alcatraz. Nothing else mattered. So sunday we packed the camera, hopped on the boat, and cruised out to the Island.

While I was there looking over the Cells, Walls, Leftover Stinger Missles from Ed Harris's Ambush, I engulfed myself in the history. I looked accross the bay to figure the best escape route to swim. I looked at the swirling currents to discovery my own "Escape from Alcatraz".

I realized at this moment I was standing in a 7 wonders of the Man World. Yes we all know about the 7 wonders of the Natural world. But this was one of the Man Wonders. A place where a Guy can freely make movie quotes, can stand holding his arms up like Cage with two flares, and can quote Sean Connery saying "Welcome to the Rock" with all other men on the island nodding in approval.

I then asked myself. Are there other Wonders of the Man World? Places you must see before you die. I came up with a Partial List, and as usually I expect the Lodge to fill in the list. My list (Not in any order):

1) Alcatraz

2) Tombstone Az

3) Las Vegas Strip

4) Wrigley Field

5) Fenway Park

6) Yankee stadium

7) Lambeau Field

8) Touchdown Jesus and Notre Dame

9) Canton Ohio and the Pro Football HOF

10) Cooperstown and the Baseball HOF

11) Bourbon St in New Orleans

11 Comments:

Blogger Train said...

Great post Goose. I love the concept of Man Wonders...

I guess we should make a pact to visit all the Man Wonders of the World as a group before we die...

Well we can always dream.

Thu Apr 19, 02:07:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Train said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Thu Apr 19, 02:07:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

The Man Cave is a man wonder that any man can achieve... I'd propose that would make the list.

Thu Apr 19, 02:43:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Train said...

Would that be a Cave Man Cave?

Thu Apr 19, 02:53:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Goose said...

FYI. Bigger Dance Standings

The Black Lodge
KJRRank Name Pts
204 Seatown 22
6577 Goose 19
11159 2.0 18
19856 Poohbah 16
19856 Train 16
22975 MCP 15

Thu Apr 19, 05:15:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Goose said...

What is this Cave Man Cave place you speak of?

Thu Apr 19, 05:17:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think it's a loose attempt at a joke by Train. Key word = attempt.

Thu Apr 19, 08:35:00 PM PDT  
Blogger seatownshawn said...

Woah....204th place huh?

...that's pretty good out of however many thousand.....

I can't seem to logon to their frickin' site though...wtf?

Thu Apr 19, 10:14:00 PM PDT  
Blogger seatownshawn said...

Oh....and I'm 5 out of 11 on that list of Man-marks....I'll have to sleep on it and come up with a few more suggestions.

Thu Apr 19, 10:17:00 PM PDT  
Blogger seatownshawn said...

Goose....I should also point out that you can easily find an awesome Cioppino locally my friend. Good times.

When I order that for dinner I guarantee that Melissa won't even ask for a bite....

Fri Apr 20, 07:27:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Goose said...

I have hit 6 of 11. Alcatraz making it 6

Tombstone, Bourbon St, Vegas Strip, The Rock, Both the Baseball and football HOF's

I have decided to forgo Lambeau for 2 or 3 years. I will take the Gosslings there when they old enough to enjoy it. Im thinking Packer Monday night game. Epic....

Also I do plan on making the Baseball stadium Tour with the boys. Hit Wrigley, Fenway, NY and maybe Baltimore in a strech.

No Man Wonder visit is truely complete until you have taken you son's there. Thats called the Man Wonder Handoff. Trust me (and someday you will all know) its worth it

Seatown is sleeping on it. What other sites need to be added?

Fri Apr 20, 10:00:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home