Thursday, July 19, 2007

Extreme Park

For your viewing displeasure...
CUT - by Park Chan Wook, is a short film in the 3 Extremes movie project.

The Oldboy hero is back. As always, Park delivers a wonderfully short and philosophically extreme story. He even throws in a couple twists which are wholly acceptable. I caught it last night on the following links and found myself again captivated. It starts at the 50 second mark on the following tube clip.

Part 1

In sum, CUT is about a movie director who is faced with the ultimatum to watch his wife be tortured or kill a child to save her.

(The Takashi Miike story was just so abstractly useless it should have been cut out; this attitude is echoed with the review "Three Extremes would be better if it were Two Extremes." I will continue and pretend it was only two films. I hate him.)

I do not post up links to the 2nd story "Dumplings" since it is too much for me to stomach and I suggest you go back to seek it out yourself. The beginning of the above clip gives a hint of "Dumplings", but does not spoil it. Of course, the food she is eating is very spoiled... hahahahaha

The social commentary for both short films is wonderfully insightful and does not leave the gore completely useless. Although it did come out a couple years ago, I believe the Lodge has become more acculturated to Asian strangeness to handle this more openly.

CUT: Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5.



So let me know how it stirs you.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home