Monday, August 06, 2007

Son of Pitch Talk Returns!!! “Community Shield, what it is…”

It’s back, but not really. I just wanted to throw some photos up from the Official beginning to the 2007-2008 and give a little historical backdrop to exactly what the f the Community Shield is and why it matters.

Starting in 1908, with the old buggers from Manchester versus QPR (Queens Park Rangers) at Stamford Bridge, it was played at the end of the season First Division Champions and Southern League Champions. In 1913 the format switched to Amateurs versus Professionals, where out ancient Lodge descendants went on a donnybrook with the lads from Leeds. In 1921 the current format sort of began, matching the Football League winner versus the FA Cup winner. The format ebbed and flowed including a switch to the beginning of the season until 1930 when they decided it was the best way to get Manchester United a few more trophies.

The purpose behind the Community Shield is to raise money for dental practices in neighboring villages, so the British stereotype is eventually extinct. Seriously, it’s a fund raiser, but I haven’t the slightest clue where the money goes or if they even have dental practices in England.

Anyway, the match yesterday was typical of an exhibition match, with moments of brilliance covered in mostly ¾ speed and sloppy passing, exceptions being “when you are in trouble…”.

The match ended with a semi-dramatic penalty shootout, which was dominated by the Jolly Green Giant from der Nederlands, Edwin Van der Saar. He went 3 for 3 in his guesses and gave Manchester United their 16th Community Shield, one ahead of the Scouse.


The Great One could not be reached by Pitch Talk following the match, but did give us this look:

13 Comments:

Blogger seatownshawn said...

The dental fundraising brings to mind one of the best moments in neighborhood pub quips.....

A little while ago we were at the Wedgie (Wedgwood Ale House), a neighborhood pub & eatery known (at least in my mind) for it's delicious burgers and local micros on tap. Reviewing the chalkboard listing the days offering of brews....I asked our wait-person a question about one of the imported beers...."What is London Pride?"

....to which he responded "I'm not sure....brushing your teeth every other Tuesday?"

Mon Aug 06, 01:01:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Mon Aug 06, 01:08:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

For as much as you guys hate on the Dutch... Van der Saar came up HUGE in the penalties. First ManU win in 12 matches versus Chelsea... although Chelsea's arguably Top-2 strikers in Drogba & Sheva (Pizarro & Malouda looked good though) didn't play in the match.

You guys ready for the EPL Fantasy League? My lineup is set set for Week 1. My starting 11 are from 5 teams. Although I wanted to start RvP, but Arsenal only plays one match in Week 1.

Mon Aug 06, 01:10:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Jimbo said...

I just set my lineup today...Dude, CTown and anyone else that's interested...you need to get in the league...you have until Friday to get a roster together in the free transfer window...I'm actually getting excited just typing this out...

I'm going with a blue collar approach to my squad...which didn't work last year...of course I only updated it once...

Mon Aug 06, 01:47:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

What exactly is a "blue collar approach"?

Mon Aug 06, 02:08:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Goose said...

Blue Collar means "Anti Dutch"...its using real tough, grind it out, defensive minded iron men.

Basically everybody but the Clog Wearing, Tulip Filled, Wind-millers...

Mon Aug 06, 02:48:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blue Collar = Paul Scholes, Michael Essian, Ryan Giggs... Not alot of flash but they get the job done.

I love the write up Jimmy. I don't have much else to comment on the match. It was a glorified friendly. Hats off to the Jolly Green. He was amazing.

Mon Aug 06, 02:50:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Blue collar are players you love to root for. Unfortunately they are also players that don't post enough assists or goals to be worth in in fantasy.

And, Train... glorified friendly is right. Good call. By the way... I love the defensive remake of the Blues this year. Looks good on paper.

Mon Aug 06, 03:03:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love me some Malouda...

Pizzaro looks like he's as slow as Sheva. Wright-Phillips can't finish... the back four will be solid. I just hope Terry isn't out to long. And Alex needs to get signed.

Mon Aug 06, 03:06:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Jimbo said...

my apologies...I should have rephrased "Blue Collar" to "anti-big four"...it's a long season, but I love the transfer section and the categorical breakdown...I still may have to make a couple of moves before all is said and done...

Train, I'm of the opinion that SWP might challenge Lampard as not only the most overrated player on Chelsea, but in the entire BPL...I didn't see anything out of him that showed me he belongs on the first team...

...also, I didn't think I would ever be this excited about another Portuguese player like I am for My Boy Nani...or as you will commonly here this season...

"It's just Nani being Nani..."

Mon Aug 06, 03:57:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice. Nani kicking all of the set pieces and corners in the 2nd half. Good to see... I think he'll be a bigger signing than Hargreaves when it's all said and done.

Tue Aug 07, 11:40:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Jimbo said...

Nani is going to do what Nani does...

Tue Aug 07, 11:48:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Train said...

Nani, is about a year away from being just as good as Ronaldo.

He'll play much like Ronaldo did circa 2005. A lot of moves but no finishing...

Not hating on him, just thinks it will take him some time. I'd love to have him on my team.

Tue Aug 07, 12:13:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home