Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Goose in the 802...Life in Maple Syrup Land

So last week I spent 8 days on the east coast. The family had decided on a trip to Vermont. Specifically Lake Champlain. 2 miles south of the Canadian Border.

Headed out to the airport. My 1st vacation in almost 2 years. Long summer with 4 weeks of work hell leading up to vacation. I leave my phone and my blackberry on the kitchen counter. Subconsciously I think I intended to do this. Football Season on the horizon, I think I really needed the break.

We landed in Newark where I consumed 2 hot dogs at Nathans at the airport. My instinct was to chow them down and check my watch to see how long it would take me to eat them. I decided that probably would repulse the family and the others at Newark international and I now regret not timing the event to see how many dogs goose could consume in the 12 minute window. This may be a Lodge contest of the future (maybe instead of a poker game).

Odds to win the Lodge 1st annual Hot Dog Eating contest (if it ever happens):
Over/Under on dogs 6
Goose 3-1
Duke 5-1
Train 5-1
Dude 7-1
Seatown 6-1
Jimbo 3-1
2.0 10-1
MCP 3-1

Spent the 1st day in Burlington Vermont getting ready to go to Highgate springs. A couple of Observations:

Dunkin Donuts is HUGE!! in New England, Much like Starbucks, there is a Dunkin' Donuts on every corner. "Time to make the Donuts" became my driving catch phrase.

Vermont has an ABA Franchise, The Vermont Frost Heaves and they are having open tryouts this week. I wonder if they need a guaranteed 6 foul a night guy like me. What the hell is a Frost Heave and why is their slogan "we are going to be the bump in their road?"

The Vermont Expos were the single A affiliate that now belongs to the Nationals. They got the name from a local legend of a Sea Monster that lives in Lake Champlain called Champ. This vacation is like the beginning of an X-Files episode.

We arrived at our Lake resort. Basically it is an all inclusive resort on a lake with 30-40 Cottages and a large center house called "The Inn" that has the dining area and the bar.

So the gosslings headed off to their activities, while goose hit the signup sheets to see what he wanted to do.

So I was going to learn how to sail, however the 88 degree temps and lack of wind canceled most of the sailing excursions.

Goose and Fly Fishing (A River Runs Through it...and so does Goose)
So I went with a few others out to the local pond to learn the art of fly fishing.

There are several types of casts in fly fishing, which are used according to a given fishing situation. The most common cast is the forward cast, where the angler whisks the fly into the air, back over the shoulder until the line is nearly straight, then forward, using primarily the forearm. The objective of this motion is to "load" (bend) the rod tip with stored energy, then transmit that energy to the fly line, resulting in the fly line (and the attached fly) being cast for an appreciable distance.

Other casts are the roll cast, the single and double haul cast, the tuck cast, and the side, or curve cast. Goose learned the Roll and the forward, however the fish were not biting. One thing I did Catch (Or nearly caught) was a frickin' Snapping Turtle that took a liking to my fly (And no Train not my zipper).
All and all it was a fine time.

Goose and his Inner Hunter
(yes that is actually Goose in the pic)

So my second activity was Archery. Flashes of Rambo 2 and explosive arrow tips flashed through my mind as I arrived for my archery lesson. 2 types of Bows would be used. Recurve and Compound (Compound having the Pulley for added power)
So after my initial lessons it was time to step up with the Recurve.....
Sometime later in life you do something you have never done before and you find out you are good at. Goose discovered he is amazing skilled with a bow. My 1st round hit 10 for 10 in the inner circles with 5 bullseyes. Not bad with a Recurve Bow. I joking say in a previous life I robbed from the rich and gave to the Poor Now it was time for the Composite. The instructor asks mew if I think I can handle a 40 pound Bow (The tightness of the string). Most of the others were using 30 or 25. Sure...why not. So I take my 40# composite bow, picture the head of the Viet Cong on the target, and shoot my 10 arrows. 10/10, 6 Bullseye's. I am loving this and begin flashing to a future Lodge Bow Hunting/Camping trip

Some of the Goose Excursions
Certain sacrifices need to be made when you have kids. I did go to the Vermont Teddy Bear Factory (Where yes they make Teddy Bears) and the Ben and Jerry's plant (although free ice cream rocks).

Actually got to walk at the 45th parallel (The halfway point between the Equator and the north Pole)

Saw a sign but unfortunately didn't have the time. Bristol Conn. 25 miles East. I was 25 miles away from ESPN and SportCenter Headquarters. Must kill Stuart Scott... must kill BooYah. We are going back next year and a tour of ESPN will happen, regardless of Steven A. Smith's or Skip Bayless's restraining order on any Lodge member.

Not to get to sappy but Vermont and Lake Champlain has some of the most amazing Sunsets (this was a picture I took with my digital).

Some other activities was a Lake Kayak Trip with my older son. Since there were no TV's I depended on my Video iPod for entertainment and began watching Heroes. I must say....WOW. What an amazing TV Show. I'm totally hooked (I'm 3 episodes from the finale, so I am not ready to discuss yet).

My last point is a well known item called "East coast Bias." You may have heard of it. Let me tell you something. Spending 8 day in Vermont, smack dab between NY and Boston I will tell you that east coast bias is alive ands kicking. All I heard was Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, Giants, Jets, (although there was some good Redskin talk). They are completely oblivious to anything that happens on the West Coast, sans Bonds or Vlad.

So that was about it. I do recommend visiting New England. Its an amazing place, once you get past the accents (view from a Pontoon on Lake Champlain...I'm not that good a photographer, but some of our pictures really turned out well).

Labels: , , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

The "East Coast Bias" is phenomenal, isn't it!?! Wait until later today when everyone gets word that KG was traded to the Celts. All hell will break loose.

Love the pic of the bow shooting... you are a knife fight away from battling Tommy Lee Jones or Benicio Del Toro in the deep forest.

I'm a big fan of Steven A. Smith... but Skip Bayless's day will come. He's got a Death Eater tattoo up his sleeve, I'm tellin' ya (there's always room for Harry Potter quips, right? Bueller!?!).

Tue Jul 31, 02:00:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Train said...

All you needed in the 'Bow' picture was a hunting knife and a McQuade fort and you'd be home.

Tue Jul 31, 02:21:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Goose said...

I want the Rambo Survival Knife...with the hollow handle that holds matches and fishing wire.

Mmmmmmm McQuade fort

Train...is that Ironhide for your pic?

Tue Jul 31, 03:09:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Train said...

Yes, it is Ironhide... Good Call

Tue Jul 31, 03:39:00 PM PDT  
Blogger seatownshawn said...

Sounds like an awesome trip...the only thing I'm left wondering is.....just how was the maple syrup?

Oh....and I'll call Nile in the AM and make the tee times for Saturday.

Tue Jul 31, 09:03:00 PM PDT  
Blogger seatownshawn said...

I just made tee times for Saturday at Nile Golf Course.

9:30 & 9:37

As of right now....JV is out....so we only have 5 guys confirmed for Saturday.....right? I asked....but they won't allow a five-some....so does anybody have any thoughts?

Wed Aug 01, 07:44:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Train said...

Are we playing 18 holes? I’m a little hesitant to pay 32 bones especially since I can’t golf (this is just to play up my cheapness).

This course is being universally panned by my golfing co-workers. I would suggest a different course but I’m lazy and don’t really want to do the footwork. Then again what do insurance salesmen know?

After all the complaining… Thanks for setting up the tee times Shawn… But I’m only going to go golf if you go to the sounders game on Tuesday. Come and watch home grown talent that soccer snobs like Joe are to “cool” to watch.

Wed Aug 01, 09:07:00 AM PDT  
Blogger seatownshawn said...

The golf course is certainly nothing too special....but it is IMPOSSIBLE to get a tee time anywhere remotely close to Seattle for this Saturday morning this late.

Real golfers most likely refer to the Nile course as being a bit "rinky dink" because there are a few more par 3's than usual....and maybe only 1 par 5....so it's like a par 64 course instead of a par 72 course like most. That's why most people aren't too down with the Nile.

I haven't played it before...so I'm looking forward to it.

I am in for Tuesday. We can discuss the details on Friday/Saturday....

Wed Aug 01, 09:14:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Goose said...

I forgot to add the Maple Syrup portion of the story. So we went to this Dairy/Maple Farm and learned more crap about Maple then I even even cared to know....

Top 5 things Goose did not know about Maple until he went to Vermont....

#5 There are 4 grades of Syrup
FANCY MAPLE SYRUP,
GRADE A MEDIUM AMBER MAPLE SYRUP, GRADE A DARK AMBER MAPLE SYRUP, GRADE B MAPLE SYRUP

#4 My many years of worshiping the syrups of Mrs Butterworth and Aunt Jemima have now been destroyed with the tasting of Vermont Maple

#3 To Tap a tree...you only need to go 1 1/2- 2" deep into the trunk

#2 A single tree can produce about 3 gallons of Sap

and the #1.....
The greatest packaging for Maple syrup that I have ever seen is here

Wed Aug 01, 10:21:00 AM PDT  
Blogger seatownshawn said...

Wow...I agree on the packaging. I'm tempted to buy some of that myself.

Oh...and a side note on the timely Pic 'o The Day there boys........

Other potential "news" candidates could have been....
1. 'Mike Hargrove Resigns From The Mariners'
2. 'Katie Couric Leaves The Today Show'
3. 'Tiger Woods Loses At Augusta'
4. 'Green River Killer Enjoys Green Eggs For Breakfast'

I'm not sure that Gary Gnu would approve....

Wed Aug 01, 10:58:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Goose said...

Gary Gnu...Nice Pull Seatown..I think that calls for a little youtube

Wed Aug 01, 11:21:00 AM PDT  
Blogger theDUKE said...

I'm glad you've tried flyfishing. Welcome to the advanced fish hunter world.

I'll be trying trout this weekend in our neck of the world.

Mayhaps a Lodge fishing afternoon may be in order.

Wed Aug 01, 11:59:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Jimbo said...

I'm honored to be tied for the house favorite in the hypothetical Lodge HD eating contest...my technique is to dip the buns in beer to accomplish two things at once...

Train...(hangs head)...someone with your golfing prowess is hatin' on a golf course that is still far superior to your game?...dissapointing...

I'm glad you enjoyed your vaca Mother Goose...did you pop any Super Trooper lines while you were out there?

Who wants a moustache ride?

Wed Aug 01, 02:29:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Train said...

Jimbo...(hangs head)...Someone of you reading comprehension should have seen that I didn't bag on the course. My co-workers did.

Wed Aug 01, 03:09:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Jimbo said...

some information needs to stay within the insurance firewall...but fair enough...our discourse here is done...we'll battle it out on the links...like the gladiators did...

Wed Aug 01, 03:51:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Train said...

We shall battle again....It's me and you Jimbo... One shall stand, one shall fall...

Wed Aug 01, 04:10:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home