Thursday, October 27, 2005

Sweep Home Chicago

To answer a previous blog, yes...it is too early to talk about Mariner baseball.

As a fan of the Chicago's South Side team for the past 15 years, I saw something happen yesterday that was just a joke or a way to get me upset by sayin' 'I don't see your White Sox winning World Series.' I can say I have seen it. The bastard children of the Chicago, baseball's second city.

It's funny, I would have thought that the early 90's team of Black Jack McDowell and Charlie Hough (Gosh, I love the knuckball), would lead this team to the promise land. Especially when Glenn Hibbard and rookies, Jason Bere, Jason Fernandez, and Wilson Alvarez were praised upon. Even when I first saw this team, before the Frank Thomas' and Robin Ventura's were up in the majors there were alot of deserving people would could have used a W.S. ring.

It took a loud mouth former Sox to bring them back from the dead. Ozzie, way to put a mind set in a ballclub that thought homers win you ball games. This team was better as a small ball type club. As soon as Magglio and Carlos Lee are gone, and Thomas went to the DL, things started chuggin' along.

I'm happy to see a team win the World Series that is virtually forgotten in their own town. The lowly Southside can now celebrate and let out 88 years of frustration. Seeing Jerry Reinsdorf practically cry and likewise with Kenny Williams was good to see. Somebody like King George just takes his trophy and adds it to the collection. This trophy, this year will be cherished.

Three cheers for my favorite team and the top of the baseball world for at least one year. I think they have earned it.

Do you think they will bring back baseball shorts and Disco Demolition night? What are your thoughts of the Series? Stros could have won any of those games but when the RISP are available, their bats were silent. Thoughts, comments, suggestions....

1 Comments:

Blogger Jimbo said...

Good post dude...and I've treated the blog to a glorious photo of the shorts from '76 (Thanks to Lukas and the Uni Watch for that one)...but, as I posted earlier...there was no doubt about what team was on the destiny march...kind of a weird year for MLB, all hype surrounding Yanks/Sox and with the ChiSox slipping down the stretch they were the team no one saw getting out of the Division Series, except of the Padres, another post, so here's to the Big Chief and Ozzie for bringing home the hardware for Venezuala and for me immitating Buehrle next year during whiffle ball and throwing 15 innings in under a half hour with the makeshift whiffle ball WS trophy right next to me...

Thu Oct 27, 04:00:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home