Thursday, December 01, 2005

A few thoughts while contemplating Hans Oersted and Electromagnetism

So before we get on to the most anticipated blog of the week…I need to tie some loose-ends from the past week…thanks to Train for pointing out these topics out last night…in bed…haha……all kidding aside though…we sleep in separate beds…

“Sometimes there's a man…sometimes there's a man, well, he's the man for his time'n place, he fits right in there”

Today the lodge would like to honor two men that we’re “the man for their time’n place” the late *Sir(the lodge is granting knighthood, more on this later) Georgie Best & Mr. Arnold “Pat Morita” Miyagi

First, a few things about Mr. George Best for those who are unfamilar with his life and career:

photo * made 466 appearences for ManU including 178 goals before getting fired at 27 for excessive drinking and failure to attend practice and sometimes matches-which begs the questions, how much booze need apply when the term "excessive drinker" is given to an Irishman...I'm getting the spins just thinking about this

*Pele has said that Best was the best footballer he's ever seen...sort of like Rex Grossman saying that Kyle Orton is unmatched at his position, but not really

*1968 European & British Footballer of the year

Now on to why he receives the first ever honorary Knighthood from the Lodge: the quotes:

*"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars - the rest I just squandered."

*(On David Beckham) "He cannot kick with his left foot, he cannot head a ball, he cannot tackle and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that he's alright."

*"In 1969 I gave up women and alcohol. It was the worst 20 minutes of my life."

*(On the blood transfusion after his liver transplant) "I was in for 10 hours and had 40 pints - beating my previous record by 20 minutes."

Here's to you Sir Best, may the pitch be green, the pints bottomless and legs that go all the way up wherever you finished up.

Second, a few thoughts on the distinguished career of Miyagi-san himself Noriyuki "Pat" Morita:

photo *Career full of highlights including beginning work on M*A*S*H as a Korean Captain Sam Pak

*unforgettable and Emmy snided for his work on Happy Days as Matsumoto "Arnold" Takahashi

*Left Happy Days for Mr. T and Tina , the now legendary sitcom

*Recently seen in the Alien Ant Farm video: "Movies", and was once again snided for VMA for his supporting work

*Fought Victor Wong in the early 80's for Wise-crazy-eyed grandpa title, but eventually withdrawing to go back to "Happy Days"

Now comes the Dick Vermeil section: ..."these players....man....", I'd personally like to thank Miyagi-san for his portrayal in all 4 KK's, yes I do acknowledge the fourth, unlike certain writers with ESPN Page 2. The foundation to many of my spiritual roots are primarily based on the Art of War and the original Karate Kid, I too was a kid on the outside of kool, I too lived in a run down apartment complex, I too was madly in love with Elisabeth Shue. I don't like to imagine a world were I grew up without the moral teachings of Miyagi-san, who knows where I would've turned, most likely to the teachings of Rev. Falwell. So here is my(...wait...man, getting really dusting in here...these players...god...) tribute to one of the finest instructors on life the world has ever known.

Bonus: for an excellent take from a writer who doesn't acknowledge KK IV, please check this out.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Now on to some Lost theories inspired by last nights episode, (if your not watching this show right now I really don't know what to say)

Found a really plausible theory behind the show here which at 715 this morning really blew me away....there is a ton of sites out there to wet your curiosity, but I recommend this/ as one of the better ones...I won't spend a lot of time discussing this unless the people call for it, but I would like to get some comments going for all those who watch...and who doesn't like to watch

--I'd also like to get some picks for this upcoming weekend: tell me if you like the favorite or the upset in the following games:

1) Buffs vs. Horns(-27) Big 12 Champ. o/u =60.5

2) Army vs. Navy(-6) o/u=50.5

3) Victory Bell USC(-21) o/u=74

4) LSU(-1.5) vs. UGA SEC Champ. o/u=40

5) WVU(-9) vs. S. Florida (how depressing is the fact that the Big East gets a BCS-side discussion) Big East Champ.o/u=44

6) FSU vs. VaTech(-14) ACC Champ. o/u=45

And Finally what makes Thursday's livable, your moment of Zen:

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars - the rest I just squandered."

That quote is priceless. Eff MasterCard -- Georgie was priceless. To one of the Top 5 Footballers that ever lived: RIP, brother.

Thu Dec 01, 12:25:00 PM PST  
Blogger The Dude said...

Nice post...perhaps that should have been several posts. I think both men deserved their own post but together it's a HOF post. As for Lost...I checked it out last night...An interesting episode. So I'm interested in what you and Jordan thought about it?

As for the games...

Buffs to lose to the Horns but Buffs cover and O/U is under

Army vs Navy I'm goin' with Army under

I don't think SC will cover but will go over

UGA will cover and go under.

WVU will cover and go over...

VA Tech will win and but will be under...

Rest in peace Miyagi...

Thu Dec 01, 12:58:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jimbo said...

Thanks for the HOF mention Dude...I kind of sense the games are going to do the same thing...and as for Lost, I spent about 4-5 hours reading the forums on http://www.4815162342.com/forum/, If your at all interested in the show, this is a great forum...warning: only for big time dorks...

Fri Dec 02, 09:34:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home