Friday, April 21, 2006

Serenity vs. Riddick Part Deux

A few weeks back, Devin came blasting out of the gate with a scathing review of Serenity as compared to The Chronicles Of Riddick. I hadn't avoided Serenity, but I also hadn't gone out of my way to see it. But how could thousands of geeks be wrong? Well, it turns out they were only half wrong.

Last week I received Serenity from my Netflix queue and watched the film for the first time. Trying to filter out all of the debate over the movie in this here Lodge, I attempted to clear my mind and come in fresh giving Joss Whedon the benefit of the doubt. My first criticism of the movie spawns from it's use of the Papyrus font. Come on. If you are trying to create an original Scifi show/flick, you'd think you'd come up with an original logo and not use a font that I used for my cover pages on essays back in college 10 years ago. Maybe I'm being fickle, but it was pretty cheap looking.

The movie did strike me as impressive, but not without fault. I only gave it a 3 out of 4 stars on Netflix because I did like it. But I had some issues with it, both good and bad. Starting off, the story seemed done to me. Genetic engineering to create passive lifeforms makes some turn into carnage seeking creatures? It was too much like A Brave New World meets 28 Days Later for me. I know art is recycled, but great art is original and inspired. The movies characters were its strength. Great depth in the characters, especially Captain Malcom Reynolds and the smokin hot Inara character. I think having the Firefly headstart really benefitted the film in this instance, because the actors seemed to really believe in their characters. Very seemless, very well done. I'll cut my rant short by ending with the fact that the editing was the worst part of the film. After watching the Special Features and viewing the Deleted Scenes, they all should have been included in the film. Each scene backed up the fantasy world that Joss Whedon (and whats with this guy and female names for males, I think he wrote the man's man character of Jayne to combat his own insecurities about sharing his own name in "Joss" with a female pop singer from the UK, but that's just me) was trying to create. The new worlds scenes in Serenity didn't have the depth of new worlds created in classic Scifi films like Dune, Star Wars, Bladerunner, Star Trek, Pitch Black, The Fifth Element, and many, many more.

And speaking of Pitch Black (which is a far better film than The Chronicles Of Riddick, by the way), that brings my post full circle back to The Chronicles Of Riddick. Devin did a great job getting Jayne's panties up in a bunch a while back. So when I was walking through Best Buy last night and was perusing the DVD racks, I almost got a side ache laughing so hard when I saw Serenity packaged with The Chronicles Of Riddick in a DVD Combo 2-pack. Hilarious. I called Devin immediately and shared my joy. Now I share it with the Lodge.

8 Comments:

Blogger theDUKE said...

again, further proof that Serenity cannot sell on its own. First the discount w/Battlestar Galactica purchase and now this.

Fri Apr 21, 11:35:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Train said...

I think it is a safe bet to state that neither movie can sell itself...

Firefly the series does quite well though.

Fri Apr 21, 11:41:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

It almost got me to want to watch the Firefly series. But I think with only 1 season it'll disappoint me more in the long run. MCP, what do you think?

Fri Apr 21, 11:46:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Casey said...

Actually "Serenity" has done extremely well on DVD, and Universal even chose it as its launch title for the HD-DVD format

Fri Apr 21, 11:46:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Casey said...

I think you'd actually really like "Firefly".
The series was very solid, but was a little different in tone to the movie. The series really played up the wild west aspect of the Universe.

Fri Apr 21, 11:49:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Jimbo said...

I think its safe to say the Serenity/Riddick debate has been firmly killed...what's that?...the horse is getting back up...(BAM)...no...no its not...I think I stand as the only person not to have seen Serenity...and that's the way I like it...

Fri Apr 21, 12:12:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

The Wild West scope was the better part. I didn't like the dialogue at all though, and I think the series would play that campy crap even more. We'll see, I'm undecided.

Really enjoying Arrested Development: Season 2 right now from Netflix. Quality show.

Also, Big Red did a live chat today on ESPN. Check it out. Walton has a way with words. Many, many words.

Fri Apr 21, 12:23:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Goose said...

Someone please put the Firefly/Serenity debate to bed!

Im ready to say I liked it just so everyone will SHUT THE HELL UP!!!!

Nah. I couldnt do that. I still think it wasnt very good.

Fri Apr 21, 12:56:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home