Thursday, August 10, 2006

The Fog Has Lifted

Wow. What a night! This newbie was introduced to something special last night at Seahawks Stadium....my first big time soccer match. I have to say, I enjoyed myself even more than I imagined I would...and probably a bit too much judging by the fact that this post is finally coming late in the afternoon. I'm sure that everyone interested has already read the reviews of the match, so I will focus more on my own experience.

The anticipation became palpable for me as we rallied through 3 heated matches of washers at the Lodge beforehand. A few ales and a brat with cream cheese (by the lactose tolerant)...and all seemed right with the world. 30 minutes and one free parking spot later and we find ourselves in the massive cattle herd at the north gate....and finally, inside...just in time for the match to begin! I was intrigued to see all of the different types of people at the match.....but the most intriguing thing for me was the intangible. Here we were on a Wednesday night in Seattle and the stadium was at capacity. Not for a concert or Seahawks related event....but for a soccer game. And while the pitch itself was not overly impressive, with more than a few yellowish brown spots, the sight was something to behold.

There was something in the air....a kind of electric quality to things. Everyone watched intently and bantered back and forth about specific players and who was their favorite. Being the type of person that I am, I layed down a barrage of questions for Jimbo and Train all night long...thanks boys, for putting up with that. I find myself enjoying the raw simplicity of the game. I'm completely floored by David Beckham's ability to make a pass all the way across the field directly onto the foot of a teammate...that wasn't really open. The anticipation continuing to build throughout the first half....living in the moment. I realize that I'm at a game that I know very little about, and I'm on the edge of my seat....loving it.

At this point, I'm inevitably reminded of the previous days conversation with my fellow Lodgemates about the idea of sport. Being a Seattleite, have you ever heard someone say "I don't even like baseball, but I like going to Safeco Field!"? Well, any person that makes that statement is a fan of the idea of sport, and sport is spectacle.

We were witness to 2 very nice goals, only 3 minutes apart, and a flurry of activity in front of the DC United goal. In the end, the defense held off the superstars, and in my mind, earned more than just a moral victory and a 1-1 draw. As time expires, I'm left wanting more. What now? Now I want to go to another game....a real international game. I want to experience the spectacle again and again. Unfortunately, I guess that the TV will have to do for now.

We follow the cattle herd leaving the field all the way to Hooverville where we enjoy a few rounds of nut brown ale and another cream cheese kielbasa courtesy of Train. The Dude reminds us all where we are from with a final pitcher of the Blue Ribbon to seal up an awesome night.

Then, when I finally get home, I find myself answering an unexpected question...."Honey, did you go to Kidd Valley for dinner?"
....late addition....sorry big guy.

9 Comments:

Blogger seatownshawn said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Thu Aug 10, 03:46:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Train said...

That was a great write up on the game and experiance. I'm glad you had a great time. Fun times were had by all.

Fri Aug 11, 08:29:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Jimbo said...

best Lodge outing review yet, and let us not forget the good hot dog vendor outside Hooverville

Fri Aug 11, 08:53:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Train said...

The sole reason I bought the dogs in the first place.

Yabo's anyone??

Fri Aug 11, 09:01:00 AM PDT  
Blogger seatownshawn said...

Motorboat?

Fri Aug 11, 09:17:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Train said...

I gotta see about getting at that place on saturday night after the game.

Somehow I know KR will see right through it once we get there...

Fri Aug 11, 09:37:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Jimbo said...

it'll be hard to see right through it...that's all I'm saying...

Fri Aug 11, 09:42:00 AM PDT  
Blogger theDUKE said...

good updates on the pictures. mebbe i should have been there...

Fri Aug 11, 10:23:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Jimbo said...

you would've appreciated the kielbasas if nothing else...

Fri Aug 11, 10:49:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home