Saturday, April 18, 2009

Leaving the NBA Witness Protection Program

The above title refers to my return to following the Association for the past two half seasons, and my excitement for hardwood/ice Playoff Saturday.

The reason? That’s right Lodge readers, happy days back in the Rose City as the Association tips off their playoff edition, which, after six months will prove whether it’s better to have the King James or the Black Mamba version of the New Testament of Stern.

So far, the Chicago Rose’s have taken game one in the Garden, and Kent’s own Rodney Stuckey tries to prove that the shoot first point guard isn’t entirely dead.

I know 3.0 is the only one with even a slight interest in the Association anymore, but after suffering through a dark decade in P-town, beginning with the Pippen-led, Dunleavy-coached underachievers losing a 14 point 4th quarter to the New York Yankees of the NBA in 2000 and closing with the leadership of the Washington-basketball Jesus to a 54-28 record and a home court for RIP City in the 1st round.

In the middle of this dark decade sandwich you’ll find Zach Randolph & Darius Miles contracts, Rasheed’s record breaking T’s, Mo’Cheeks, Bullet Bob Whitsitt’s chemistry degree, death of 00, a six year playoff drought, being a nanny for Ruben Patterson, being a joint in Mighty Mouse’s Yellow Hummer, being one of Qyntel Woods dogs, burning a #13 on Seba Telfair and generally just having Bonzi Wells in the 503 area code.

There…that felt good, but not as good as…The Kevin Pritchard era at GM, death of the Jail Blazers and Mac10 the coach, the bench power and excitement of the Spanish Armada , Przybilla’s lunch pail, Nicolas “Bowen” Batum, the LaFrentz contract, LaMarcus’s athleticism, Oden’s six fouls and of first coming of Jimbo’s favorite NBA player without the last name of Nash.

Does any of this mean we move on to the Promised Land? Probably not, but hope beats the hell out of depression…trust me…I follow Husky Football. The Association: Where enjoying basketball has happened again...

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Ah, the 14 point 4th quarter blow-up versus the Lakers. I watched that game with you at your apartment on Lake Union. You drank a lot that night. And Gebow yelled at us for making noise. Really, nothing has changed in almost a decade now.

I'll be rooting for Rose City basketball, partly because of the Seattle connections of B.Roy and Mac-10, partly out of my fondness for the early 90's Blazers with Duckworth, Buck, etc., and mostly because Hijack City stole my team.

Not sure I'll get over being bitter about it until we get the Hornets or Bobcats to move here and rename them the Sonics. It'll be kinda like the Cleveland Browns, only not by the mistake by the mi-lake.

Sat Apr 18, 05:54:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Train said...

I'm not well versed in the ways of the NBA but it's hard not to root for the Blazers. I found myself on more than one occasion watching a Blazers game on our new NW sports channel.

Here's to a good playoff run and the start of many runs to come.

Sat Apr 18, 05:59:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Jimbo said...

well...nice post by me...not only is game one a blow out, but it also curses the Sounders and Devils...

and 3.0...I have no idea what the connection was with that clip...but I like it!!!

Mon Apr 20, 02:24:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

No idea? How about 5:20 into the video. Probably my favorite Will Ferrell moment ever. You're damn right, I just went there.

Wed Apr 22, 09:39:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home