Friday, December 16, 2005

"Every civilization finds it necessary to negotiate compromises with its own values."

So I got to go to a pair of early screenings this week for some movies that’ll be making their way to theaters in the next couple of weeks. Here’s my take….

Munich.

Spielberg’s pet project about the aftermath of the Olympic assassinations in 1972 is an uneasy affair. I went to this film with two other people. One of them was truly blown away by it, and considers it possibly the best movie he’s seen all year. The other really liked it a lot, but had a few minor issues with the pacing of the film.
I, on the other had, was really conflicted as to whether or not I liked it. When you go to a Spielberg movie, there are certain things you expect and take for granted. The film is shot beautifully, the acting is great, and the tension is top notch. All of that’s there in this film. And if it came from a no name director I would gladly applaud the film just for those qualities. But from Spielberg I want more. We all grew up with his films, and perhaps we’ve been spoiled from the likes of Jaws, Indiana Jones, Schindler’s List, Saving Private Ryan, etc. And because of that I don’t grade him on a curve like I would for someone like Michael Bay (if can tell a coherent story I give him props).
My problem with this film is a simple one. It’s too long (nearly 3 hours. If a movie is going to be 3 hours I want to see at least 1 monkey), and the flow of the story isn’t as smooth as it should be. The beginning is slow to get going, the middle works, for the most part, really well, and the ending feels clunky and without resolution.
And probably my biggest critique directly coincides with one of things that work best in the film. With every character you meet, there is no black and white. No one is a good guy, and no one is a 100% bad guy. Everything is gray. The problem is it’s so gray, that it can be hard to distinguish how everyone is related to each other, making parts of the film a little hard to follow.
I walked out of the theater giving the film a 6 on a scale of 1 to 10. But then something happened. The film stuck with me, and kept replaying itself in my head. The tragedy and emotion of everything that happens resonates and sticks with you. And after digesting it for a few days I found myself appreciating it a lot more. It’s a great movie…not something to take a date to, but worth seeing.
***1/2



Mrs. Henderson Presents.

On the flip side, I got to attend a screening of a little British comedy called “Mrs. Henderson Presents”. The film stars Bob Hoskins and Judi Dench and is directed by Stephen Frears (Dirty Pretty Things, High Fidelity, Grifters). The film tells the true story of a musical revue theater in England, during the depression that becomes the first theater in the country to show nude women on stage. This occurs on the cusp of World War II. The show becomes a hit, and when the bombings of London hit, it becomes the only Theater open in the country (and is also hugely popular with soldiers).
Having said that, it’s not really a war movie. This is really just an incredibly charming British comedy. Judi Dench and Bob Hoskins are absolutely amazing in this film. They spend most of their time butting heads and arguing about pretty much everything imaginable. I can’t recall Dench ever playing a more fun and enjoyable character.
As the film opens, her husband has just died. With in a day of the funeral, she has become completely bored with being a widow and decides to buy a shut down theater. She doesn’t actually know anything about the theater, or the poor, or anything else that doesn’t involve being a rich, spoiled wife. She knows how to get her way, and that’s about it. Pretty much any time she’s not on screen, you miss her presence.
The film also co-stars Christopher Guest (Spinal Tap) in a role that allows him to show off his quick witted humor that most comedians would kill for.
***1/2

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Jayne, how many stars are those ***1/2 ratings out of? I'm interested in Munich, but leaning towards waiting for it as a rental. Tonight I'm going (with Jenny) to go see "Syriana" and I'll review it later this weekend.

Below are the movies I'm most excited about and will see in the theaters (probably in order):

1. Syriana: Gaghan follow-up script to Traffic. Soderbergh (my favorite director) on board as a Producer. I'm pumped to see this film.

2. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe: Always a fan of the books, I think I'll untimately be disappointed in this adaptation, but I'll watch it for nostalgia's sake alone.

3. King Kong: Heard good things. Peter Jackson didn't disappoint with the LOTR trilogy, so how could he mess it up? Plus, I've liked Naomi Watts in everything she's been in.

4. Brokeback Mountain: "The Gay Cowboy Movie", as it's been unfortunately dubbed, should be interesting. As a supporter of the Gay Community with close family & friends being of the homosexual orientation, I'm interested to see the fallout in controversy over this film accross the country. For example, I'd love to see it in Texas and watch the audience reaction.

5. Match Point: You know, I've never really been a fan of Woody Allen (seriously, please help me out and tell me what films to try of his to sell me). But I'm going to give him a second chance here.
(Note, this barely nudged out Underworld: Evolution and if push comes to shove, I'll probably opt for the vampire flick.)

Fri Dec 16, 12:14:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jimbo said...

I don't think its possible to separate any word in the phrase: "incredibly charming British comedy"...Mrs Henderson sounds like a film I'll miss out on for several years and then catch it on demand and think of MCP and say...he was right it was incredible, charming, British and it was also a comedy...as for Munich--good review, and isn't it the goal of any film about that subject to stay with you afterwards, and its odd that you talk about the pacing being odd...if I remember Schindler's List properly,Spielberg did a great job of maintaining a steady pace during the entire movie, never letting it escape the grim realities...of course Private Ryan also suffered from a difficulting in pacing, but I felt that was due more to the script then anything else:

which brings me to a top five and bottom five Spielberg list: and it should be said most director's would give both testicles for his bottom five:

top 5:
5-Jurrasic Park-much like Lucas did in the 70's, this pushed the envelope for the next generation of special effects, a milestone in that regards...the time test has proven that some of the effect have not withstood and the story isn't real re-watchable, but more of an historical timepiece that needs to be respected

4-Catch Me If You Can-I know, don't know why I like this film, but I do, and completely captures the re-watchable factor...great set/time period capturing...great pacing similar to great Hitchcock films like Vertigo and NxNW...suceed's even despite Leo, and Walken playing the straight guy...good accent by Hanks...

3-Jaws-I still have my Senior year High School film teacher replaying the zoom in while the camera is fading back shot of Scheider in my mind...plus great acting out of Dreyfuss and Shaw...and good play with soundtrack and cinematography, classic role that began the blockbuster

2-Band of Brothers/Saving Private Ryan--I know he didn't direct the BOB, but enable it to happen with Ryan...BOB remains the greatest War-time story that I've ever seen, if anyone on the Lodge has not seen this, stop whatever your doing and plant yourself in front of the TV for 10 hours...I feel no need to comment further

1-"Professor of archeology, expert on the occult, and how does one say it? Obtainer of rare antiquities."

Now the other half:

5-Jurassic Park-for almost the same purpose that it was #5, it gave folks like Michael Bay the authority to put together Junior High screenplays into $100 million films with no purpsoe, just really good effects

4-A.I.-anyone that's experienced this will have two main comments:
a) I will never get that 175 hours back again
b) I can't believe they put the bear through so much s**t

3-War of the Worlds-not entirely his fault for the story, but TOMKAT was him along with the always adorable Dakota Fanning...great, great effects, but not a whole lot else...did I say good effects?

2-Terminal-never saw it...I guess that gives me something in common with the rest of America

1-Mola Ram! Prepare to meet Kali... in Hell!

Fri Dec 16, 12:24:00 PM PST  
Blogger Casey said...

How can you not love Temple of Doom? I agree it's the weakest of the series...but that's not saying much. Short round is a national treasue!
...And I have to admit...I really liked A.I. a lot. I know I'm in the minority, but I really adore it.

But...you've inspired me to come up with a list of my own...

Top 5
5. Saving Private Ryan - At the time it was released, it had some of the most accurate war footage I've ever seen. I'm pretty sure you have no soul if this movie doesn't get to you. Near as I can remember this was the first flick to show Spielberg's newer style, of more hand held cameras, washed our colors (see Minority Report, Munich, A.I).

4. Shindlers List - Some say this movie is too preachy/sappy at times, but I could care less. This movie hits you in the chest like a ton of bricks. Uniquely shot (and I'm not just talking about the black and white) and achingly tragic. If Spielberg died today, this, Jaws and Raiders would probably define his legacy.

3. Close Encounters of the Third Kind - I LOVE this film. What I love about it now is how much it shows Spielbergs youth. Of all the characters in his films, Richard Dryfuss' character is the most like the filmaker himself. He's said in recent interviews, that if he had made this film today, he wouldn't have had him leave his family at the end, because he wouldn't be able to do that today. Also, I love that this was one of the first films to do a speical effects/sci-fi film as an adult drama. This isn't made for kids like E.T. You rarely see filmakers attempt anything like this.

2. Jaws - You really can't say enough about this film. History has overshadowed it a bit with Star Wars. But really, after this movie, everything changed in the film industry. This movie will be copied time and time again by until long after we're all dead. And it's just a great film. Perfectly cast, and scary as hell. Most of us wouldn't fear sharks the way we do if it wasn't for this movie.

1 Raiders of the Lost Ark - I don't even think this needs an explanation. I've seen this movie more times than I care to count, and it really is just about as close as you can get to a perfect movie.

Okay...now the ugly.

Bottom 5

5. The Terminal - TOO LONG!!! The sad part about this film, is that there's a really good film hidden somewhere in there. In the hands of the right editor it could have been a great film. Tom Hanks is great in it, and there are some really amazing parts of it. But it drags for WAY too long. You could cut an hour out of this movie easily.

4. War Of The Worlds - Well made, with some great sequences (the raid on their minivan where Cruise pulls a gun on the crowd in particular). But this film has no soul. I never cared about any of the characters, and some of the logic was too lame...which I'm usually ok with in this type of a movie. I'm a sucker for ID4...but that was just a big goofy movie, and it didn't try to be anything else. War of the Worlds tried to be serious and important, and that...is why it fails.

3. Hook - A lot of people used to cite Hook as a reason why King Kong might fail. Hook was Spielbergs dream project, he spent decades fantasizing about how he would make this movie. And when the time came to actually make it, he made a hyper-detailed bloated movie. I was sad to see this fail, and I still watch it once in a while, hoping I'll find some magic in it....

2. Lost World - I loved Jurassic Park, and I was uber-excited about this sequel. Too bad it sucked. In the entire film I can only think of one part I actually enjoyed (when the raptors were tracking the group through a grass field...the overhead shot in that sequence is amazing). I actually consider this one of the worst sequels ever made.

1. 1941 - How the hell did he fail with a cast like this? He's got Belushi for gods sake! I laughed more during Schindlers List than I did in Spielbergs only attempt at a straight up comedy.

Fri Dec 16, 01:21:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jimbo said...

MCP...good list...I only place Temple at number one because of the extreme nepotism involved...that made a fairly decent film with some really good actions scenes, unwatchable...but a Lucas-ish dialogue and two of the worst supporting characters ever thought of place it #1...if this movie occurs w/o Raiders, it probably stays off the list...but damn it...Spielberg set the bar...

A.I. was tough for me...I just came out really depressed afterwards and I haven't really made it back since...I'll admit as far as the technical aspects go...great...but, could've lived my whole life w/o seeing it and been better for it...

It's sort of the same reason I left off Schindler's list, (I'm still waiting for Fiennes to hit that bar again)...everything about that movie was so well done, it would definitely be on my top 5 list of movie's deserving of best picture...it's just the content does the same thing that A.I. does, and I guess the mark of a truly good film is when that effect occur's, but it definitely doesn't make my favorite list...

we'll need to save that top 5/worst 5 list for next week....

Fri Dec 16, 02:00:00 PM PST  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think Fiennes hits the mark in this year's The Constant Gardener. He puts in a powerful yet subtle performance that is confusing at first (due to the unique flash-back editing, you'll know what I'm talking about if you've seen it), but then sits with you for a few days after viewing.

Warning: The Constant Gardener is NOT a feel-good movie at all... but it is an intriguing story, well directed film, wonderfully acted & disturbing because you know it actually happened and continues to happen around the world. Haunting.

Fri Dec 16, 02:09:00 PM PST  
Blogger Casey said...

I have to agree about the Constant Gardner. Personally, I think it's his best performance to date. What I love about the performance, is how well fleshed out his character is. He's just a man. He's not all that special or smart or dumb. He feels real. It's one of those performances where you almost forget that he's acting in a role, and just accept the character as existing.

Fri Dec 16, 02:21:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home