Wednesday, December 14, 2005

"I'm interrupting this interview for the purpose of making further inquiries"


The Interview

This is a little gem from Australia that you have to make sure not to miss. A pre-Matrix Hugo Weaving stars as Eddie, a normal average Joe. At 5 o'clock in the morning, the police blasted their way into Eddie's apartment and took him to the police headquarters. He's sitting in an interrogation room opposite detective John Steele who frequently interrupts the interview letting Eddie sweat until he comes back. He's suspected of car theft and even murder. But he isn't the only one under pressure; the detective himself has people on his back with other agendas.

A lot of people compare this film with the “Usual Suspects”. And in some respects they are similar. Namely that they both really just deal with a cop and a suspected criminal in a room talking. But, where as the “Usual Suspects” tells most of its story through flashbacks, “Interview” spends the entire movie in this small claustrophobic room watching these characters verbally wrestle with each other. And don’t be expecting these films to end the same, either. The twists that “Interview” provides are things of brilliance.

This film really shows off the acting chops of Hugo Weaving, who really is the center of this movie. His is an Oscar worthy performance in my mind. He creates brilliant moments of tension with just the subtlest of methods. This is the kind of movie that really focus’ on the craft of acting.

I really don’t want to say to much more about it, as I don’t want to spoil it. This kind of movie is best enjoyed if you don’t really know what to expect.

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm definately interested and it's now in my Queue. Jayne, speaking of Austrailian movies -- I'm curious if you've seen "Chopper" starring Eric Bana? I've heard amazing things about this movie on movie shows, but I haven't heard from someone close to me. And since we share posts on a blog, I oddly feel close to a man named Jayne, and would like to know your opinion and if you seen the film.

Wed Dec 14, 11:44:00 AM PST  
Blogger Casey said...

Chopper is totally worth seeing. I really enjoyed it, and Eric Bana will blow you away. In most of the american films he's done he's just been another Australian pretty boy, but he takes it to another level in this film.

Wed Dec 14, 12:01:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jimbo said...

I've queued it up also MCP, but I have to say after my weekend adventure with Audition...I'm a little skeptical on your pix...I'm going to see a couple more recommendation and then I'll publically denounce you as a purveyor of filth...or not...

Wed Dec 14, 12:18:00 PM PST  
Blogger Casey said...

You didn't like Audition? Really? Why not?

Wed Dec 14, 12:30:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jimbo said...

Here's my take on Audition:

*thought the technical aspects were above average for a foreign thriller...good framing for shots...use of light...angles...etc...

*thought the acting was above average with spotlight on Eihi Shiina, who I thought saved the film, great acting on her part...points taken away for Tetsu Sawaki as Shigehiko, a little too much at times and did a good job of taking the intagibles off the table...

*the story: I'm not going to knock it too much, I just felt that it was incomplete at times...

(spoiler alert below):


-I understand that the wife died, which is what motivates the story, but I don't need the over-sentimental piece at the very beginning, this could've been handled a lot better via flashbacks or more subtle ways

-the general pacing of the film, (I'll admit I was tired when I saw it, and the pace was not what needed)...I kept waiting for a pay-off at some moment becuase of the time it took to build a story...never felt that it happened

-never built up Shigeharu enough that I gave a damn what happened to him...at the end, I felt that he deserved what he had coming to him...not sure if this was the point, but I felt that it worked against the film

That's just a few critiques, and don't get me wrong, I found parts interesting, I like his friend who set up the Audition, I liked the actual Audition scene and the ending made me squirm. It wasn't a horrible film, I just wouldn't go over 3 stars out of 5 for it.

It could be that I'm just not that familar with that genre and style of filmaking to truly enjoy it. I'll keep on checking out your recommendations though, so keep on writing them.

Wed Dec 14, 01:09:00 PM PST  
Blogger Casey said...

You make a fair argument, I'll give you that. 2 things though...

1. I actually thought that the pacing was one of the strongest parts of the film. I really appreciated the way it took it's time to take you in a certain direction, and lull you into a false sense of security. Hollywood horror films don't really take their time anymore (which is a big reason why I think that most modern horror films are so weak).

2. As for Shigeharu deserving what happened to him, I never really felt that. Quite the opposite actually. Maybe I missed something....

Japanese horror is a very unique genre. This story in particular is quite dense in the way that it's told. And if you haven't been previously exposed to much Japanese cinema (at least in a non-action oriented vein) it's somewhat difficult at first to interprete and appreciate. At least, that's what it was like for me.

Wed Dec 14, 01:47:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jimbo said...

I tend to agree that my non-exposure to this type of Japanese cinema probably effects my critique more than if it were American...

Its relative to growing up drinking only Coke and when someone offers you a Pepsi you immediate reaction is....its' not Coke...same thing the other way around...then someone hands you a Jolt and yer' whole frickin' life changes, while you start free basing caffine

Wed Dec 14, 02:38:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home