Monday, December 19, 2005

It wasn't the airplanes; beauty killed the beast


It might just be the fact that I have a soft spot for monkeys but I loved this movie. The original 1933 version of Kong was a landmark film in respect to special effects, sound and editing. Basically it was the first blockbuster. I saw that version when I was 8 years old from that moment on I’d been captivated by a love story. Ok, granted it’s not your usually love story but the story is real and you believe it. The remake is no different except it is taken to eleven. Peter Jackson, who I am convinced, could make a version of little women and I would go see it; manages to build on an hour and 40 minute original and turn it into a 3 hour masterpiece.

Yes, it is long but it is all about the voyage to a climatic ending that really breaks your heart. We all know how it is going to end but we want the big old gorilla to win. The casting is great even Jack Black turns in his best performance to date as the con man/movie maker Carl Denham. Black’s portrayal is convincing and you really want him to get eaten but whatever creatures are encountered on Skull Island. Mr. Nose Adrian Brody is cast perfectly as the introverted screen writer Jack Driscoll and Love interest of Ann Darrow played beautifully by Naomi Watts who has that girl next door yet a classic beauty that is needed for Kong. The Supporting Characters are adequate and fill in nicely to the sub plot which adds an extra layer to this movie. Seriously there needs to be a new award given at the Oscars we can call it the Andy Serkis award.

Serkis is called on again by Jackson to provide the motion capture images for Kong. Much Like Gollum in LOTR Serkis breathes live into a computer character. Do you hear me Lucas this is how it is done. Kong is a little older with balding hair, pot belly and scared body from years of survival on the Island that time forgot. Kong’s emotions can really been seen with tender scenes that could have come off really stupid if it had not been for the direction of Jackson. I really believed Kong was in love and I believed that Ann Darrow loved him and they mutually cared for each other. I am not afraid to admit I got a little choked up near the end.

The special effects are again superb. The attention to detail, from the natives homes to Kong’s cave to Time Square to see the passion that Jackson has for Kong and the original. The action scenes are tight and the movie score if powerful and hits the heart strings at the right times. I loved the music piece in the spider pit and central park scene. I would recommend viewing the original before seeing this and the little details will shine through.

Jackson has again made in my opinion a masterpiece. He is able to capture the essence of the original and build upon it. You never feel like you are there for 3 hours you believe in the love story and get caught up in the movie magic. I loved Kong and I know Ann did too.

15 Comments:

Blogger Jimbo said...

I think Train thought it was a documentary

Mon Dec 19, 10:08:00 AM PST  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think Train might have a monkey fettish or addiction: http://www.sid.u-net.com/monkey/page.htm -- although I think the bigger issue is whether or not King Kong is a better monkey movie than the original Planet Of The Apes:

King Kong http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0360717/

vs.

Planet Of The Apes http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063442/

Mon Dec 19, 01:47:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jimbo said...

Why is it whenever monkey movies are referenced..."Any Which Way But Loose"...is somehow left off?

Mon Dec 19, 02:23:00 PM PST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good point, plus when was Project X all but forgotten?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093793/

Mon Dec 19, 02:32:00 PM PST  
Blogger Train said...

I think it is because Oranutangs have a seperate film catagory all to themselves.

Mon Dec 19, 02:41:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jimbo said...

kind of like Nicole Kidman career film category post TomKat

Mon Dec 19, 03:08:00 PM PST  
Blogger Train said...

Speaking of TOMKAT i saw the preview from MI:3 and it looks like Phillip Seymore Hoffman is making the jump from that guy to full on action villan. With that being said the movie looks horrible.

Also got a preview of MIAMI VICE w/ Jamie Foxx and Colin Ferril. I'll admit it I got a little pumped becasue of the fact it is a Micheal Mann film. I don't like the fact that the movie has the lets market this to the "young crowd" feel to it complete with the Linkin Park soundtrack. Where is Phil Collins, U2? Where are the pastels, the shoes without socks. I mean what is Castillo doing? can't he be in it? I don't think they have started production on Stand and Deliver 2 yet...

You got to bring the '80 flair to it.

Mon Dec 19, 03:24:00 PM PST  
Blogger Unknown said...

The fact that J.J. Abrams is writing and directing MI:3 make me mildly intrigued. Plus, I'm a sucker for this series... the theme music is instant adrenaline for Joe 2.0.

Mon Dec 19, 03:35:00 PM PST  
Blogger Train said...

Then Joe 2.0 must be easily excited

Mon Dec 19, 03:38:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jimbo said...

MI2 tops a very long lists of worst action films I've ever had to sit through...of course I'm sure Jayne has it as recommendation of week...

Mon Dec 19, 03:49:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jimbo said...

and here's a memo to hollywood and Michael Mann...seriously...the 80's are tapped...done...you hear me? between Miami Vice and Knight Rider, A-Team, Dukes of Hazzard's...that's enough raping of my childhood TV memories...Mr. Lucas has done plenty to deep scar me until my deathbed....

Mon Dec 19, 03:53:00 PM PST  
Blogger Goose said...

I dont ever want to EVER see a post again that talks about

a) Trains Monkey Fetish
b) How to easily excite Joe 2.0
and
c) The raping of Jimmys childhood memories.

This whole post went wrong....VERY wrong.

Mon Dec 19, 03:59:00 PM PST  
Blogger Goose said...

Who the hell is Ann?

Mon Dec 19, 07:31:00 PM PST  
Blogger Goose said...

Oh...the Character Ann. I thought you took a Date of something to the show...My bad.

Tue Dec 20, 06:23:00 AM PST  
Blogger Jimbo said...

Is it any surprise that a post going terribly wrong came from Train and Monkey's?...this would never have happened had he decided to review...Any Which Way But Loose

Tue Dec 20, 08:40:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home