Friday, December 02, 2005

Hall of Fame Friday


The Inaugural Post

Here is my 1st post dedicated to players that should be in the HOF. To quote Hannibal Lecter "He covets. That's his nature. And how do we begin to covet? Do we seek out things to covet? We begin by coveting what we see every day." So my 1st post will be near and dear to my heart.

Arthur Monk
Born Dec. 5, 1957, White Plains, NY
A running back at Syracuse University, Monk was drafted by the Washington Redskins in the first round of the 1980 NFL draft. The 6-foot-3, 210-pounder was moved to wide receiver. Monk has good seasons up until 1984. Then..... Art Monk blew up. He lead the league with 106 catches, a record at the time, for 1,372 yards and 7 touchdowns. He followed that with 91 receptions in 1985. Named to the NFL All Pro team in 1984 and 1985. At one point, Monk had the single-season record for receptions the career record for receptions, and the record for most consecutive games with at least one reception.

Monk has since seen his records fall, but he shrugs that off, too. "I'm excited for whoever can [break the records]," he says. "Once I realized I had a chance of breaking a record, it was sort of a goal to make it happen, and it was really exciting experience that feeling. It was never something I wish no one else does. That's part of the game. It's not just playing, but achieving the goals you may have for yourself. So it was something I was able to accomplish, and you're excited when other people do that." Thats a class act people.

now to add the statistical proof
Career stats 940 catches 12721yds 13.5ypc 68TDs

Receptions 5th
Recieving Yds 9th
Recieving TD's 29th

and now the most important stats.
Suspensions 0
Drug Arrests 0
Team imposed fines 0
Super Bowl Rings 3

Monk was a unanimous all-rookie selection. All-Pro and All-NFC choice in 1984 and 1985 and was named second-team All-NFC in 1986. He was selected to play in the Pro Bowl following the 1984, 1985 and 1986 seasons.

When he retired, he was the NFL's all-time leading receiver with 940 receptions, a record that was broken by Jerry Rice and his since been surpassed by three other players.

In a game where his records are surpassed by pass happy teams with ego centric Wideouts who just want everyone to "Throw them the damn ball". Monk stands for the reason that I fell in love with football.

I have vistied Canton once in my life, but I vow this. If Canton does not enshrine Monk, then I will never return.

Vote Monk to the Hall.

5 Comments:

Blogger The Dude said...

Goose, I have to say, you hit the nail on the head on this one. I think my T.O to hall post reflected my thoughts on Art Monk. I second your thoughts and think it's been a crime he hasn't been inducted. I hope the committee gets their stuff together and vote in an all class guy. I'm not a Skins fan but I am an Art Monk fan!

Fri Dec 02, 08:39:00 AM PST  
Blogger Jimbo said...

How many years has he been eligible?...and I think the only slight that he gets is because of the jump in passing over the last 20 years for every team except the Redskins...Receiving stats are some of the most versatile in all of sports, which makes his criteria for getting in the HOF harder to judge...even though, the winning (#1 element), top 5 in position for period of 4-5 years(#2 element) are both there, this really is a no-brainer, if you're going to recognize Largent, you need to recognize Monk...

Fri Dec 02, 09:38:00 AM PST  
Blogger Train said...

Goose brings out all the guns on Art Monk. With a PR guy like Goose you can't even think about not voting this guy in the hall. It is a shame that he isn't even in there yet. The coralation with Largent that Jimmy makes is right on...

Fri Dec 02, 09:57:00 AM PST  
Blogger Unknown said...

vote the monk in. nice post, goose. we've all included art in each of our "votes" from jimbo's post -- and jeff, you make the best argument of all. + i love the threat of never going back. you made it personal, and sport is personal.

Fri Dec 02, 12:56:00 PM PST  
Blogger Jimbo said...

sport

Fri Dec 02, 02:20:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home